Stihl 031av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kev,
I slept at the pilot truck stop in Grayson a few times. Nice country up along Rt 9 headin' towards Cinnci....Rick

We have ignition!!!!!:D I finally got around to checking it out thoroughly and found out that it has excellent spark. It seems to be getting fuel and has excellent compression. The plug looks like it was run with the oil mixed way rich, quite a bit of deposits on the electrodes. I'm hoping that a new spark plug and good fresh gas will have it running. Wish me luck, I am going to try it tomorrow.

Originally posted by kev
We have ignition!!!!!:D I finally got around to checking it out thoroughly and found out that it has excellent spark. It seems to be getting fuel and has excellent compression.

With those 3 functions in proper porportion and timing, it will run. Congrats! :D

I'm making a little progress, I can get it to hit every once in the while(with a little squirt of ether) but it won't go ahead and run. Carb may be sticky from fuel left in it for 2 years. I'm going to take it off and try to give it a good cleaning.

the 031 had a collection of small problems. it could be:
poor compression (worn rings, siezed rings, broken rings, etc).
worn points or lobe on the crank.
pinched fuel line by the air filter, rotten fuel line,plugged filter.
cracked impulse tube, debris in tube.
leaking intake manifold.
plugged spark arresetor.
worn internal carb parts, plugged screen in carb.
short in the ignition switch, wireing.
abuse such as oblonged end bearing from having the chain to tight as the saw cools and pulls on the end of the crank, but, that is abuse and a whole other world(wrong mix,air/fuel mix,etc,etc).
like anything else, without seeing the saw a proper diagnosis is not easy or likely. yes, start with the basics. compression,ignition and fuel delivery. when you find what is lacking find out why. marty

AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!

I finally got the carb rebuild kit in today and took the Walbro carb apart. The screen was pretty much gummed over as I expected. I took care of all of that and started to changed the needle valve. The spring on the other side of the pivot was corroded to the carb housing and as I tried to gently free it, it broke. Just one coil that was right in the bottom was all that broke off so I figured I would try it and see what happened. I sure never guessed that a hole that little would flow that much gas! It flooded it out completely with just a couple pulls. I guess I am going to try to scavenge a spring out of one of the deceased Homelites and try it. The place I got my carb kit from took 4 days to get it and I'm getting anxious!:D I think I may have the problem solved once this little SNAFU is corrected. Then the wood better start kissing its @$$ goodbye cause I got a lot of pent up rage to take out on something after fooling with this thing. :D

So, we have figured out that the points were never touched, the plug was never touched, the carb was never touched, and it sat for two years. Yup, it's amazing how long these saws will run with a little regular maintenance!
Congrats on your progress, Kev. If you can think of any other maintenance items that need to be checked periodically, you can bet they have never been touched. (fuel filter, fuel line replacement, etc.)

Stihl 031

Just joined the forum. A little frustrated by an 031AVE with a dead coil. My local saw shop diagnosed it for me. They don't have a solution aside from selling me a new saw. Well, it has been such a great saw I can't give it up without a struggle. So, does anyone know if there are any used coils around, or if I can substitute a coil from another saw?

My 031 has the coil mounted under the recoil cover, not under the flywheel. I guess they came in different configurations over the years.

Thanks.

031 coil

First off I would like to welcome you to the best forum that was ever created.It always nice to have new people on here.
You are also in a very nice location,I was there about 2 years ago.I stopped at a few Stihl dealer in that area and the 031 and the 032 seemed to be the top choices for fire wood cutters there.
There are not any new coils available anymore from Stihl for the 031s.Your only option will be to try to find a good used one.They are getting rather hard to find.You might want to watch ebay for a parts saw that still has spark.Keep in mind that the first 031s built didn't have electronic ignition and those coils wont work for your application.
If there is another coil that can be substituted,I haven't found it and have looked a many.
I had a few company's working on rebuilding the coils for me.Out of about 4 that I sent them,I had one that actually worked.I wasn't very pretty when I got it back and certainly nothing that I would feel good about selling to anyone.
Good Luck on you Hunt
Dan

I would suggest that the coil is fine, but your sawshop may be bad. The 031 is one of the best saws made., and I have not
ever come across a bad coil.

031 Coil

Fish
It just amazes me that you have never had a bad 031 coil.Don't get me wrong,I do believe you.I never had many problems with the first 031s that used points but the newer one with electronic ignition are a real problem here.
Could it possibly have something to do with colder temperatures in our areas?
I dont drink anymore but will you buy me a coffee for every bad one that I send you?
Stihltech you are just to the north of me,do you have any problems with them?
Later
Dan

I kind of jumped in hear a little late. But I have seen many 031 flywheels go bad.For some reason on the 031s they lose their magnetic field . Take the flywhell off & check it with your trusty Stihl carb. screwdriver adjuster. Oh Excuse me im out hear in beatifulf Calif. land. where it is illegal to adjust the carbs.

Sonny
Yea I have seen some of the 031 flywheels that lost there magnetism.Do you have any trouble with the electronic coils or is it just me.
Dan

Don't mean to break in here, but... I have an 032ave that runs fine. Did these have coil problems, too? Just curious if I'm running on borrowed time.

John
I never had any problems with the 032 coils but fish will probably say he does.LOL
Later
Dan

coil

I think I can fix you up. I either have a good electronic coil or the points coil and flywheel which will work with an aftermarket module. Send an email if interested.

The 031,030, and 032 were more or less the same saw, and
I have never seen one that did not come with points.
Where/How do you mount the atom module, I could never
find room?
I am not arguing that all of the 031s had points, I just have
never seen one.

Latest posts

Back