stihl 032 won't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hntr02

Reaction score
My son borrowed my 032av electronic to clean up some ice storm damage and returned it not running. I have cleaned the air filter,cleaned and rebuilt the carburator installing a new kit,replaced the plug,(it fires blue on the side of the head), and the compression is 85lbs(my new 290 stihl has 120lbs).I must be missing something because it won't even cough and this saw never missed firing on the second pull.:bang:

With the compression that low, I would be pulling the muffler and taking a look at the piston and cylinder. It sounds like it either squeeked a piston or the rings may be carboned in the grooves. Compression that low will very rarely allow a saw to start, let alone run well.

hntr02 said:
My son borrowed my 032av electronic to clean up some ice storm damage and returned it not running. I have cleaned the air filter,cleaned and rebuilt the carburator installing a new kit,replaced the plug,(it fires blue on the side of the head), and the compression is 85lbs(my new 290 stihl has 120lbs).I must be missing something because it won't even cough and this saw never missed firing on the second pull.:bang:

85LBS of compression is a mights low, in fact very low. Its most likely the reason it won't start. Seeing you re-did the carb and asumming its getting fuel and fire that doesn't leave much left as far as not even trying to start. If I were you I'd take the muffler off and look into the exhaust port and view the piston. If you see a bunch of bright silver scratching up and down the side of the piston, we call that scoring, then you know right away its time to grease up your steel toed Wolverine boot and go pay ya son a vist and give him one of these :buttkick: If getting the muffler off is a pain for ya another way to judge it is by merely pulling the rope. If the motor doesn't make that sucking and popping sound when cranking it and the pulling of the rope feels like its sticky all the sudden instead of how it was before you loaned it then most likely ya son done fried ya saw. Should it turn out to be the case don't be too hard on him................

Exhaust off!

Looks like the piston is scored by the vertical streaks. Is is feasible to rebuild this saw? The rest of saw is in pretty decent shape.

No biggy, might only need a piston and rings. First off look your son in the eye and ask him if he ran your saw on straight gas.

hntr02 said:
Looks like the piston is scored by the vertical streaks. Is is feasible to rebuild this saw? The rest of saw is in pretty decent shape.

The old saying goes the 032 in its hayday and its size was the Caddilac of saws. Is a nicely made saw, real solid feel to it. Parts for that baby may be few and far due to its age. If your going to redo it yourself and can get the parts you need I say go for it. Paying a tech plus parts might be a bit much for a saw that old. I'm gonna see if I can find you some part numbers for the cylinder and piston. Be right back....

hntr02 said:

Just took a peek at my little black book for ya. Cylinder/ piston part number would be 1113-020-1203 and the cylinder gasket is 1118-029-2306. These parts are available but boy they are steep. Your looking at around 300.00 just for those parts. How much ya like that old saw would be the factor now unless of course ya say "son hand me 300.00 big ones"...............

THALL10326 said:
Just took a peek at my little black book for ya. Cylinder/ piston part number would be 1113-020-1203 and the cylinder gasket is 1118-029-2306. These parts are available but boy they are steep. Your looking at around 300.00 just for those parts. How much ya like that old saw would be the factor now unless of course ya say "son hand me 300.00 big ones"...............

I tried to order an 032 piston from Stihl NW last week and it came up - not available... had to get one from another dealers stock..

You should be able to get a used piston and cylinder for $75 or less...

Back