Stihl 034 av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maine_Jeff

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a used 034 av with a 24" bar-
were these a good model, and can it handle a bar that large? I'm mostly going to be cutting firewood with it.

Were these a professional model of stihl, or the homeower version?

Thanks, Jeff

Pro saw but not really big enough for that bar. It would be much happier with an 18" bar, maybe 20" if you're easy on a saw , cutting a lot of softwood etc.

Agree, I have a few of these and they are very happy and productive with a 18" bar, 20" max in my opinion. Obviously the bar will mount and it will turn the the 24" chain, but I think if you want to use that much chain you need bigger saw. Be careful and welcome. ;)

Thanks for the replies-
Can you suggest a model that would be better suited for 24" bar, but still an older saw? I really need the length, but can't justify buying a new saw for the amount of wood I will be cutting (about 50 cords a year)
Thanks

Mod the muffler on an 034, and it will pull a 24 bar more easily. But jumping up to the next class size would be better--Stihl 044, Husky 372/365, dolmar 7300, etc.....

What displacement was the 034? I found that with my MS390, it pulls the 24" just fine, it would do better with the 20" for sure but I neede the 24". The 28 that it came with was far too big especially with full comp chain, fullskip...mayeb but who knows? The MS390 is 64ccs 3.9 CI for the record. I wanted to go with the MS440 and 32" bar, but could never justify the expense.
J.D.

Diesel JD said:
What displacement was the 034? I found that with my MS390, it pulls the 24" just fine, it would do better with the 20" for sure but I neede the 24". The 28 that it came with was far too big especially with full comp chain, fullskip...mayeb but who knows? The MS390 is 64ccs 3.9 CI for the record. I wanted to go with the MS440 and 32" bar, but could never justify the expense.
J.D.
034 was 57 cc and 034 super was 62 cc.

Several guys run 036s out here with 24" for firewood applications. They'll handle it fine. Under timber conditions, where the bar will be buried more often it might be a different story, but for fire wood 036s with a 24" will work. I'd have to say an 034 wouldn't be that far behind. Like rb said, open the muffler and it'll be happier. But if you can jump up to an 044 you and the saw would be happier with a 24".

Jeff

When were the 034's made?
Also, what do you mean by open the muffler-

Any thoughts on Jonsered's older saws that would be appropriate for 24" bar
I have a Jonsered guy near here who has several older saws for sale.

Thanks again for the help

Jeff

find an old 034 super, which is aprox same displacement as 036. excellent tuff old saw!

my 034 super had a 20in bar, which is a little slow when fully buried, downsized to 18in bar.

if you're cutting hardwood with a 034. 24in bar would be borderline. get a 046 or MS 460 for that duty

Stihl 034 super is for sale.. Please PM if interested.

Maine_Jeff said:
When were the 034's made?
Also, what do you mean by open the muffler-

According to Mike's site, they were introduced in '93 and '95.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...dcee357d47ea70b888256dee005cfff6?OpenDocument

Do a search on here for "muffler mod." Opening, or modding a muffler is basically making the existing hole bigger, or adding new holes altogether. You're letting more air through the engine, which produces more power, and allows your saw to run cooler. Many saws are entirely different animals with their mufflers opened up. Many of us here consider it a standard thing to do when you get a new saw. Read up on it, and do your homework. You'll need to richen the carb up afterwards. You can very easily do them incorrectly, and then you've just got a louder saw that runs too lean and doesn't make any more power. You can also have your muffler sent to a professional saw builder and they can do a very nice job for you for anywhere from $20-$40.

Jeff

50 cords a year ??

I wonder what everyones idea of a "Cord" of wood is.

50 cords a year is a whole lot of wood. I heat with wood & granted, I have a small house (1200 SF) I usually burn 2 - 2.5 cords a year.

BTW: I did not mean to be a smart A$$

If I was cutting 50 cords a year, Id get as much saw as I could afford.

Welcome to A/S

Maine_Jeff said:
Thanks for the replies-
Can you suggest a model that would be better suited for 24" bar, but still an older saw? I really need the length, but can't justify buying a new saw for the amount of wood I will be cutting (about 50 cords a year)
Thanks

Most people call a chord of wood a p/u truck load full, but when I sell them they are true chords, IE 128Cu. Feet. The downside is that most people when they hear how much wood it is want to downsize to the 1/2 chord. Now some p/u beds will really hold a true chord and maybe more, yet another reason for going with the F250 HD

Maine_Jeff said:
Any thoughts on Jonsered's older saws that would be appropriate for 24" bar
I have a Jonsered guy near here who has several older saws for sale.
Jeff
2083, 2083 II, 2077, 930, 920, 830, 820 - and a bunch of even older ones.
Also some newer ones, but you said older, so I stop there.

2094 and 2095 would probably be overkill.

Have an 034, opened up the muffler as mentioned in an earlier post. Was really good with a 20" bar prior to the muffler mod. Have a 16" on now and is very strong. Waiting on Luke to get his 540 back for a little friendly competition.
JW

jwvert

jwvert,

I hope your planning on running nitro or something!!! :eek: Is the jw"vert" part of another truncated noun? :blob2:

Luke

Latest posts

Back