Stihl 034 Tillotson HK43A Carb Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardhat

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So rebuilt carb and replaced intake boot and impulse line on my old 034 today. When I was reassembling the carb, I was surprised to see the H and L needles had the same threads and looked the same. All the other carbs I've messed with they were different sizes. Are they really the same or is their a difference?

Also saw it still stalling when turned on its side even after leaning it out quite a bit at idle. Thinking I might have a bad crank seal. I would like to get this old girl back running perfect as this is the bow saw I used when I was 12 and it has been used off and on ever since then.

Any ideas? Crank seals likely to go bad on 35 year old saw ?:confused:

And I really should've looked at the H and L screws when I took them out, but other carbs I've worked on even had different thread sizes and the H screw had a different taper on the end.

You're not crazy, HK adjustment screws are the same for both H&L. If you brought your saw to me, I'd be investigating crank seals... others on here would say to replace the plug. Any saw that's been sitting that long should have all the rubber bits thoroughly inspected.

So rebuilt carb and replaced intake boot and impulse line on my old 034 today. When I was reassembling the carb, I was surprised to see the H and L needles had the same threads and looked the same. All the other carbs I've messed with they were different sizes. Are they really the same or is their a difference?

Also saw it still stalling when turned on its side even after leaning it out quite a bit at idle. Thinking I might have a bad crank seal. I would like to get this old girl back running perfect as this is the bow saw I used when I was 12 and it has been used off and on ever since then.

Any ideas? Crank seals likely to go bad on 35 year old saw ?:confused:

And I really should've looked at the H and L screws when I took them out, but other carbs I've worked on even had different thread sizes and the H screw had a different taper on the end.

At that age just replace the crank seals while they are still available.

Back