Stihl 034 won't start & needs top end kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpan

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
He all. I'm working on getting an old 034 running for a friend. This won't be his main chainsaw and will probably only get a couple of hours use a year out of it. The problem I'm having is that I can't get it to fire up at all. I rebuilt the carb, cleaned the fuel tank vent, and used a little bit of vaseline to check that the impulse line created some suction.

Pulled the muffler and noticed that the entire exhaust port side of the piston is scored badly. So, I'll get a top end kit for it. Here's where I have a few questions.

1. Any recommendations on brand? I read that the Meteor aftermarket may be the better kit?

2. This saw has a ton of oil buildup everywhere. I haven't checked yet since I don't have a pressure tester, but thinking the crank seals could be an issue. Are these pretty easy to do? I'm experienced building car engines, doing seals, etc...just haven't done them on small engines yet.

Thanks for the help!

You could spend the $$ for a new top end, crank seals, fuel and impulse hose, intake boot, and still have a leak at the case gasket. You won't know what made it run lean and melt down without pressure and vacuum testing it, just like you won't be sure your assembly is good afterward without it.

If the cylinder won't clean up, I'd put a want ad for a used OEM cylinder in the trading post. Also, if you're replacing the cylinder, a 48mm 036 top end is a bolt on. The only change you may have to make is some spacing for the muffler. It's minor though.

You could spend the $$ for a new top end, crank seals, fuel and impulse hose, intake boot, and still have a leak at the case gasket. You won't know what made it run lean and melt down without pressure and vacuum testing it, just like you won't be sure your assembly is good afterward without it.

If the cylinder won't clean up, I'd put a want ad for a used OEM cylinder in the trading post. Also, if you're replacing the cylinder, a 48mm 036 top end is a bolt on. The only change you may have to make is some spacing for the muffler. It's minor though.

thanks for the insight. Is it possible to pressure test it with the scored piston and cylinder like it is or do you need to do a new top end kit first then test? Is the recommendation to do that before ordering parts?

and yeah Instead of trying to clean up the existing cylinder id rather just do an 036 top end kit and muffler so it fits in the plastics.

I should also mention that the low end fuel needle was set to 2.5 turns out and the high end was only 1/2 turn. I’ve reset both to 1 turn as a starting point when it gets back together.

1/2 turn out on H could explain things.

You can bolt the bad top end back on and block the ports and get a good test, as long as the base gasket isn't comprimised.

AAE83E38-DFBE-4595-8009-14AE1208DF24.jpeg 47FEB633-763B-4D54-BA03-B4E61CA3008A.jpeg 579D4058-BF44-482E-8B00-3EA12CF6F72D.jpeg
And yes, you can test it with the scored top end on the saw. Its better that way so you know exactly what youre getting into. ie, if its the case gasket you might not want to rebuild the saw.

I will check that tonight or tomorrow. I haven’t pulled the top end off of it yet.

Bearings feel good though I can’t detect any play in them. Here’s photos of the oil pump behind the clutch. Something is definitely leaking.

And yes, you can test it with the scored top end on the saw. Its better that way so you know exactly what youre getting into. ie, if its the case gasket you might not want to rebuild the saw.

How do you test the case gasket?

It’s good that your going through the diagnosis before just swapping in and ruining a top end.

As the intake wall looks perfect through the jug, it does look leaned out and not straight gassed.

Vac test it first and see what you find.

That cylinder may be able to be salvaged, one never knows. Pull it after testing.

There are numerous threads on here regarding cleaning transfer off a cylinder. One very good one from @Mastermind Worksaws .

If it cant be saved, the 46mm 034 jugs are a dime a dozen. Noone reallywants them because the 48mm 034S/036 Jug simply runs better and in almost a bolt on (need possible muff spacer and some top cover from airdam work. 036 jugs are getting pricier as the supply is drying up, but who’s could probably do a meteor piston and find a good oem jug for around $125.

Any recommendations on stores that sell a pressure tester? Auto parts, big box etc?
Get the mityvac 8500 if you plan to work on saws, it's a must have. Online is probably your best bet for lowest price, but i'm sure you can find them locally for a premium.

Latest posts

Back