Stihl 034

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rookie97

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, new to the site, I recently acquired a stihl 034 and I was wondering if running a 25 inch bar would be acceptable? It spins a 20 inch like crazy as it is. Also, how reliable are 034's?

Hi, new to the site, I recently acquired a stihl 034 and I was wondering if running a 25 inch bar would be acceptable? It spins a 20 inch like crazy as it is. Also, how reliable are 034's?

Your 034 is a great saw and reliable to boot. My favorite saw is an 034 super I have several of these saws and love the heck out of them. If takeen good care of and running good 90 plus octane gas in it it should last you a long while as long as you keep the carb in tune and the filter clean. As far as the bar goes you are beyond its limits with a 24 -25 incher. I assume your saw is the straight 034 ? I would stay with no more than a 20 inch bar myself. Thats just my opinion though

Several factors play a role in the length of bar decision. Type of wood and chain type being the biggest. Around here its mostly hardwood and an 034 can struggle with a 20" and an aggressive full comp chain. My 034 is all stock and runs as it should but for what I cut would not pull a 25". My 044 just barely pulls a 25" to my liking. I would say if you are happy with the performance of the 20" keep it and the saw will live a little longer. My 034 currently wears a 16" with full comp 3/8 and rakers set at .040-.050.

Right after I bought my 034, that was 22 years ago, I put on a 20 inch bar. It came with a shorter one that I just didn't care for. It's still going with the same bar. No way would I put the strain on my saw with a bar that length. It just not intended for a bar that size and I'm not gonna put the saw through it. It is possible you didn't get enough saw if you need a bar that size. Might should look around a little for a larger saw. The 034 will thank you for it. :msp_smile:

25 years ago, I went to work for a tree service that had several 034's, every last one wearing a 24"bar. I remember thinking that these saws would have trouble turning the chain. Once I used one, I was rather impressed, considering the engine displacement. That being said, I don't remember cutting anything that couldn't be cut with a 20" bar.

Last edited:
As said 20" tops. I run a 16" on mine. It's an 034S.
Never seen one without an adjustable oiler.
Good dependable saw.

If it says 'made in West-Germany', it's one from before 1990. I'm not sure but I think some of the older 034s didn't have an adjustable oil pump, same for some of the 034AVs. My FIL has one without an adjustable oiler if I remember correct.

We used to have a 034 also, great saws! We ran it 15 years as our main firewood saw (also a 066) and the only thing ever replaced was the chain sprocket. Then my uncle bought it and we bought a new 034 :D. I wouldn't go over 20" unless cutting softwood, but even then, probably not ideal without an adjustable oiler. Our set-up was with a 14" bar, my FIL has a 16" bar on it.

Last edited:
The stihl recommends using up to a 20" bar. If your cutting softwoods and you use a full skip chain you might be ok with a 24" bar. Good saw and they can cut some wood pretty fast.

I had an 034 super a year ago but traded it. I was spinin a 25 inch bar. If i had the regular 034 (non adjustable oiler) I don't think it would of oiled it. Mine pulled the 25 just fine (softwood) but it didn't have as much chain speed as I would of liked, plenty of torque though! I really needed a bigger saw capable of running a bigger bar, only reason I traded mine otherwise I would have kept it.

Keep the 20 inch on it. The only reason to go to a bigger bar would be so you don't have to bend over as much. If you're into something that your 20 inch won't handle you should be using a bigger saw and more than likely a bigger bar than a 25 anyways.

Happy cuttin man.

Nice Handle. Welcome to AS. I put a 034 together when I started here on AS and I run a 20 inch bar. If I need bigger I use my 044.:msp_biggrin:

Several factors play a role in the length of bar decision. Type of wood and chain type being the biggest. Around here its mostly hardwood and an 034 can struggle with a 20" and an aggressive full comp chain. My 034 is all stock and runs as it should but for what I cut would not pull a 25". My 044 just barely pulls a 25" to my liking. I would say if you are happy with the performance of the 20" keep it and the saw will live a little longer. My 034 currently wears a 16" with full comp 3/8 and rakers set at .040-.050.

Set your rakers at 0.025-0.030" and a 034 will pull at 20" fine in hardwood.

Set your rakers at 0.025-0.030" and a 034 will pull at 20" fine in hardwood.

Very true but then it doesn't cut as well as I like. Im sure an 034 would pull 25" of 3/8 LoPro safety chain no problem but I would never suggest it to someone. I gave my real world specs for that saw as a reference trying to help educate someone needing advice. I am fortunate in that I have many saws and can set up for different wood as well as bar length so I don't have to use a 460 to clear brush or a 261 to fell 4ft trees.

Latest posts

Back