Stihl 034av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the 026 they did not do an "upgrade" to use a larger bearing, it's just you need to buy a whole kit to get a 026 Stihl OEM clutch drum.
"Upgrade" can mean many things. I was thinking spur to rim.

Interesting thought though, would the 036 upgrade kit fit a 026? I'm not sure if the drum would be compatible with the 026 clutch/oil pump. The bearing is the same on 026 and the original small 036 bearing (10 X 13 X 10). Drawback would be you must use rims with more pins ( e.g. 9-pin 0.325). Maybe for a hot rodded 026 that would pull it.
The clutch drum is different 1121 series (026) vs 1125 series (034/036).

c7fdab15af6e4fc8447810970e083b9b.jpg

I tore it apart this evening. I don’t think it has ever been cleaned at all. I ripped the carb gasket taking the carb off. Guess I’ll have to hit the stihl dealer tomorrow.

Only trouble nowadays is that the air filter and original carb are both getting hard to find. The 036 air filter will not fit, even though the 036 carb does.
The original 034 AF is still available from Stihl but you have to order each half separately.

Mineral spirits and a lot of scrubbing

That works good but Kero or diesel will cut more things than mineral spirits, stinks more though. Give it a try next time.

You saved that saw cleaning it. A little more crud would have started to cut the air flow off around the cyl fins.

The piston looked really good through ex port should be a good runner.

I hope you are right but either way seems a bit odd. Why spilt the air filter is half? An air filter is an air filter.
Well 35 years ago these were the old flocked wire mesh and I suppose that you could wear out or damage one side only. The IPL lists the whole filter but it is stocked as individual halves only by Bryan (Stihl Midwest) anyway. Other distributors may (or my not) stock it differently. This is why if you give the dealer the whole filter part number it comes back as NLA.

c7fdab15af6e4fc8447810970e083b9b.jpg

I tore it apart this evening. I don’t think it has ever been cleaned at all. I ripped the carb gasket taking the carb off. Guess I’ll have to hit the stihl dealer tomorrow.
Carb gasket?

If you’re referring to the gasket that matches the carb bore and you may have found between the carb and the boot, you don’t need it. It comes in the rebuild kit for some unclear reason. The newer models eliminated it. Just make certain that you have both the inner and outer metal surrounds on the boot before you install the carb. I have never used that gasket and must have done 100 carb swaps on 1125 saws.

Carb gasket?

If you’re referring to the gasket that matches the carb bore and you may have found between the carb and the boot, you don’t need it. It comes in the rebuild kit for some unclear reason. The newer models eliminated it. Just make certain that you have both the inner and outer metal surrounds on the boot before you install the carb. I have never used that gasket and must have done 100 carb swaps on 1125 saws.

Yeah, there was a paper gasket between the carb and manifold/intake tube. Both metal pieces are there. I thought it was odd because none of my other saws have the gasket. Thanks for the info

Carb gasket?

The 038 had that unneeded gasket also.

Latest posts

Back