Stihl 036 carb rebuild problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheesemaker

Reaction score
I was rebuilding the ZAMA carb in an 036, and I decided to pry out the triangular shaped piece of tin that covers some very small passages in the body of the carb. I had no idea what it did, but I dug out the old one because I got a replacement piece of tin in the carb rebuild kit. Well, I mauled the old one bad getting it out, and the new piece didn't stay in without crushing it into the recess, so now I have to think that the saw is running poorly because it's in wrong... Can anyone tell me what's going on.

Attachments

• 036 carb inside.jpg
    036 carb inside.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 036 carb.jpg
    036 carb.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Asked & answered in your other thread...
Post in thread 'Another 036 thread.' https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/another-036-thread.367092/post-7992694
If you have damaged the carb body you will need to replace it.
If it's just the welch plug not sealing follow Tom's advice & get another one & seal it with some nail varnish after punching it in place. Make sure all the necessary cleaning is done before refitting it (ultrasonic is best, don't hammer it with compressed air).
You may find a local small engine shop that keeps their left overs from carb kits (it's a common part to not use) that will save you buying another kit. Round ones are far more common though

I was rebuilding the ZAMA carb in an 036, and I decided to pry out the triangular shaped piece of tin that covers some very small passages in the body of the carb. I had no idea what it did, but I dug out the old one because I got a replacement piece of tin in the carb rebuild kit. Well, I mauled the old one bad getting it out, and the new piece didn't stay in without crushing it into the recess, so now I have to think that the saw is running poorly because it's in wrong... Can anyone tell me what's going on.
Factory can't reliably seal welch plugs and they have the proper tooling! they resort to some sort of proprietary filled sealant. The best that we can do is thin cyanoacrylate (i.e. super glue). It will take time for the superglue to fully cure. Just set the open carb in a somewhat damp place for several days until you are sure that it has fully cured.

Super glue is about all that I found that was resistant to BOTH gasoline and alcohol.

Latest posts

Back