Stihl 036 leaks bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevy_tech

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
If I leave my 036 sit on a workbench overnight, the next day I will pick it up and the whole bottom of the saw is wet with bar oil. It's leaked ever since I bought it about a year ago. Upon visual inspection I don't see anything cracked or that looks like a leak, and I haven't taking it apart yet. I'm just wondering what the most likely cause of this is. Any information for this problem is appriciated. Thanks.

Lots of good ideas on the site, try searching for oil leak or something similar. I'd say check the oil tank vent, the hose to oiler, the oiler and then the case. In that order. An easy fix could be to release the pressure in the tank when you are done using the saw.

If it's leaking around the clutch drum or below - a badly seated or distorted oil pickup hose - where it mates with the oiler.

Take the bar off and watch where it leaks from.

I had my stihl dealer install the hose ,one of the few things I've paid him to do other than bearings . It looks like a pita & did'nt want to :censored: up the new hose. Now would be a good time to inspect the clutch drum & replace it with the large bearing style if its lookin toasted to.

Back