Stihl 036 pro clutch problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bigair

bigair

ArboristSite Member
I have a problem with my 036 pro. I used it a week ago with no problems other than a dull chain. Today, I had some wood to cut. I stop off at the dealer and bought a new chain and installed. Went through my chain tightening ritual and tightened side cover nuts. I made sure I could still rotate chain by hand. Fire the saw up and no chain rotation. Shut it down and chain still rotates by hand. So I suspect something in the clutch mechanism. I tear it all apart and clean the inside of the drum and outside of the clutch plates. Nothing looks out of the ordinary other than the sprocket bearing is now missing (1) single needle bearing from the bearing cage. Would this be enough to cause my problem? If I take the chain and bar off the sprocket revs normally.

Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm guessing your problem is caused by the clutch not engaging properly at operating speed. try replacing the springs, and see if that helps any, I'd replace that drum bearing if I were you, missing a piece isnt good.

bigair

bigair

ArboristSite Member
This saw doesn't even have 10 full hours of use on it yet. So I can't see the springs going bad that quick. Missing one of the needle bearings might be enough to allow it to drift away from the tension caused by the shoes. Just a theory. I Will definately be replacing the bearing asap though.

Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters

Addicted to ArboristSite
I suppose the bearing could cause it not to work right, so replace that, try it, and see how it goes. I'm assuming you have the chainbrake disengaged? the missing bearing could give it enough slop in the drum to make it not rotate correctly.

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Springs go weak (not get stronger) which means they engage at lower RPM (i.e. can't stop the chain completely atiIdle), so springs aren't likely your problem. I had an 066 last week with exactly the same symptoms. The clutch carrier (center 3 pronged steel part that threads onto the shaft) was cracked in three places though to the threads. Rev up the saw, the broken parts moved away from the threads and the chain stopped. Took me a few minutes to figure it out as it didn't look broken!

bigair

bigair

ArboristSite Member
Lakeside53 said:
Springs go weak (not get stronger) which means they engage at lower RPM (i.e. can't stop the chain completely atiIdle), so springs aren't likely your problem. I had an 066 last week with exactly the same symptoms. The clutch carrier (center 3 pronged steel part that threads onto the shaft) was cracked in three places though to the threads. Rev up the saw, the broken parts moved away from the threads and the chain stopped. Took me a few minutes to figure it out as it didn't look broken!

I took it apart again and my carrier is in three pieces also. Thanks lakeside53, you solved my problem.

NWCS

Addicted to ArboristSite
want to know the first thing i did to my 036 Pro and have been using for 4 years now? put and 044/046 clutch drum on AND the matching bearing for the clutch (both are the very same part) and you get over double the bearing size. will prevent bearing failure issues if you grease the bearing every time you take the sprocket off. i have not replaced the bearing or drum in the 4 years since i did the change and have not had a single problem. i have run this poor 036 HARD and never had any problems. i have never seen a busted clutch hub!

Gypo Logger

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
This is also a first for me. I have never heard of, let alone seen a broken clutch hub. It makes me wonder what the cause would be other than a bad part, especially on a Stihl Pro model.
John

Dadatwins

Dadatwins

Addicted to ArboristSite
Wonder if the user was running the chain extremely tight and that caused the hub to crack? Or maybe running full trottle with brake on? Have had spring failures on Stihl clutch but all three shoes cracked from hub is weird in my opinion.

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Dadatwins said:
Wonder if the user was running the chain extremely tight and that caused the hub to crack? Or maybe running full trottle with brake on? Have had spring failures on Stihl clutch but all three shoes cracked from hub is weird in my opinion.

It's not the shoes that crack - it's the clutch carrier. They cracked though the "thin" portion near the threads.

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
dedcow said:
want to know the first thing i did to my 036 Pro and have been using for 4 years now? put and 044/046 clutch drum on AND the matching bearing for the clutch (both are the very same part) and you get over double the bearing size. will prevent bearing failure issues if you grease the bearing every time you take the sprocket off. i have not replaced the bearing or drum in the 4 years since i did the change and have not had a single problem. i have run this poor 036 HARD and never had any problems. i have never seen a busted clutch hub!

I agree totally on the drum bearing upgrade - and it became a factory installed part a few years ago, probably because of the limited life of the drums. They even put the big bearing the MS290... I upgraded my 034S at the same time. Unfortunately the still sell the old drum and small bearing. :)

Latest posts