Stihl 036 problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briguy26

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have an stihl 036 that I rebuilt. It has a problem every time I tighten down the clutch side the crank/flywheel become almost impossible to move by hand. It's only after I put the clutch on though. I'm positive I have it installed in the correct order. Metal Washer then metal shaft that goes on the crankshaft, oiler, worm gear, clutch plate then clutch. Anybody ever have this problem? Also I'm not over tightening. Suggestions thank you

The only way I can think of is the worm gear try putting on the clutch without it if its the same I would try tightening the clutch at different stages to see if it progressively gets harder to turn over also just to make sure its not something simple have the spark plug out if it isnt already

Did you install the oil pump to give the bearing a stop when installing it? Also check the worm for the center bushing being pushed up. It can be re-centered by gently pressing in a vice.

I think what happened is I used another crankshaft and it appears to be slightly different from the other. I centered the crank and it did help, but as soon as I put on the clutch it would tighten up again. It looks like the original crankshaft I had has the clutch threads slightly higher on the shaft. My conclusion is that it's the crank that's the issue. Did 036's have different crankshafts? The other saw I had was labeled 036, but could have been an 034? Unless the 036's had different cranks at some point. Thanks for your help fellas. What's you thoughts on the crank being the problem?

I expect you do not have the bearing in correctly That will put a wrench in getting the clutch on
It was the bearing. After inspection the original had a lipped bearing that fits right inside the oiler housing. The bearing I had installed had the same dimensions but no lip so the oiler would sit on top of the bearing which caused everything to tighten up when I installed the clutch. Got the new lipped bearing and it runs perfect now. Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone!

Back