Stihl 036 top end rebuild kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean.nickelson

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the crankcase on my 036 and now the compression is shot. So I'm looking for a top end kit.

I'm on a budget, so, I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. I know there are lots of aftermarket parts available of various quality. I'm looking for advice.

Thanks,
Sean.

You have to first decide if the cylinder is salvageable. If it is, a Meteor piston from Weedeaterman.com will fix you up for around $50. If the cylinder is shot, he has a complete kit for $150.

Post pictures and we can help you and watch this video...

and this one...

Sounds good. I just did an 026 for a friend and he thought it was totally a goner. It cleaned up fine.

Pics will have to wait until after Christmas... too much stuff going on to get to the saw at the moment.

Good used cylinders can be had for $75. Add another $40 for a Meteor piston shipped to your door.

If my cylinder is salvageable, I was planning on cleaning it up and installing a Meteor piston. If it's not salvageable, then I'll look for a good used cylinder and still get the Meteor. Thanks for the advise nmurph

Good news. The saw still runs, the choke was stuck closed. The compression is still low. So I'm going to to take the new to me lower that is on the way and get a top end kit for it. That way when the compression finally gives out I just have to swap everything over and I'm running again.

If the compression is low, I would want to know why. It would not take long to pull your muffler and check for scoring before you do additional damage running the saw.

I was disassembling the saw to pull the cylinder and looked at the piston. No scoring. I think the rings may just be wearing out. My "compression test" was holding the pull rope and letting the saw hang. It won't support its own weight. It still starts easy, so I'm not too concerned, yet.

I wouldnt hold that as an acurate compression test the 036 is kind healthy especially with a 20" stihl rolomatic es bar.

It doesn't drop fast, it pauses during the compression stroke, but it does drop. It only has a 16 inch rollomatic es bar. So am I in the "normal" range for my stock saw?

I should probably get a compression tester at some point, but it's not in the budget right now.

If it drops slow and pauses it's more than likely ok.but caber rings can be had fairly reasonable.do the wigglesworth treatment clean it and run it.

I made a couple cuts with it this afternoon, and everything seemed fine.

I'm going to run it as is for now. I'll follow the original plan and swap all the externals to the new power head when it finally gives up.

Latest posts

Back