Stihl 038 Information needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatherwheels

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I see an 038 for sale in my area, seller says it has the original
bar and chain, which I believe to be crap, the bar looks like it seen
many a chain.
Regardless, he says it has a spur drive, this to me indicates trouble,
as far as am aware this spur is very expensive if you can get one al all.

I seen a video of a guy buying a new clutch drum that was supposed
to allow the addition of a rim drive, when he tried to fit it, the plate that
the clutch drum lays under would no longer fall into place, the oiler gear
which fits onto the clutch drum could have been too high, or the clutch drum
could have been at fault, so am wondering if there is still a way to convert
the old spur type of these clutch drums to a rim drive, is such a part available.
Stihl-038-.jpeg

Easy to put a rim style clutch on. You'll have to look into oil pump drive parts, and that's a good time to R + R the oil pump.

That oiler is built like a tank and well protected. Even when they leak, most times stihl oil well......

As mentioned above 1119 007 1003 goes straight on. It fits the later ms 381 and is widely available.
An 038 MAG is too good a saw to be running a spur

I use Oregon bell with a rim sprocket on my own built 038/381, I think they might make them both with and without a rim sprocket. I have gathered a lot of parts from different manufacturers but never had a problem with Oregon clutch bells.
Since a rim sprocket was not thought of when the 038 was made it depends on the traditional clutch bell to fit the oiler gear, but the Oregon clutch bell is modified so it fits the oiler gear at the inner and a rim sprocket outside it.

I see an 038 for sale in my area, seller says it has the original
bar and chain, which I believe to be crap, the bar looks like it seen
many a chain.
Regardless, he says it has a spur drive, this to me indicates trouble,
as far as am aware this spur is very expensive if you can get one al all.

I seen a video of a guy buying a new clutch drum that was supposed
to allow the addition of a rim drive, when he tried to fit it, the plate that
the clutch drum lays under would no longer fall into place, the oiler gear
which fits onto the clutch drum could have been too high, or the clutch drum
could have been at fault, so am wondering if there is still a way to convert
the old spur type of these clutch drums to a rim drive, is such a part available.
View attachment 1007147
I believe I’ve seen the video your talking about. He used aftermarket parts which is why he had issues with the conversion. OEM parts are still available to convert to rim sprocket. Spur drums are also still available.

I believe I’ve seen the video your talking about. He used aftermarket parts which is why he had issues with the conversion. OEM parts are still available to convert to rim sprocket. Spur drums are also still available.
Would they be a good saw, or better off looking for a newer model.
I know there was a few versions of them, don't think this one is a magnum,
just the base model, he looking 250.00 euro for it, seems steep given its age
and the amount of small items it will need to avoid issues, fuel lines filter carb kit,
not sure if the oilers were good on these, so maybe one of these too.

and the amount of small items it will need to avoid issues, fuel lines filter carb kit,
I see now that it is an AV, the less desirable, smaller, 65 cc version. Converting to Australian money, 250 EU sounds a bit steep. Especially if not all oem.

They are very solid saws, I’ve personally never come across one that didn’t oil. The one your looking at is a earlier model with magnesium fuel tank. You can convert it to a super by just swapping top ends. I’ve heard magnum cylinders will fit but it’s not a direct bolt on. I have two 038 mags myself.

I see now that it is an AV, the less desirable, smaller, 65 cc version. Converting to Australian money, 250 EU sounds a bit steep. Especially if not all oem.
Why is having an AV system not desireable, or am I mistaking the meaning
of AV, are aftermarket parts visible on this saw.

Why is having an AV system not desireable, or am I mistaking the meaning
of AV, are aftermarket parts visible on this saw.
AV just designates it as not the MAG 72 cc model nor the 61 cc (I think) standard 038. ie there are 3 038 models. They all have the same anti vibe set up. The difference is in the piston and cylinders.
I didn't see AM parts but being an older saw it is something to be aware of.
My MAG with am p&c cost 150 AUD, about 80 or 90?eu

AV just designates it as not the MAG 72 cc model nor the 61 cc (I think) standard 038. ie there are 3 038 models. They all have the same anti vibe set up. The difference is in the piston and cylinders.
Interesting info. We have an old 041AV here, its got a mag case.
So this 038 might have an alloy case.
Either way, I think its too expensive to take a chance on.
MS400 jumped here something serious in price, I was considering
one, they are up to 1299.00 euro now, then there is the chance one
would have trouble getting parts, German manufacturing is feeling
the pressure from russia cutting gas, and oil.
Looks like China and Taiwan are going to make matters worse,
would nearly need to buy two saws just to have some parts, before
Chinese products are banned too.

An old popular best in class/time like the Stihl 038/660 or Husky 365/72 have the absolute best parts availability both OEM and from different manufacturers, but if you can get a MS400 at a reasonable cost - just do it.

AV is anti-vibe, which simply means it has anti vibration mounting system. Looking at the pictures I would bet money it’s all original. Three models of the 038 were made. 038, 038 super, and 038 mag. Some of the badging will vary but cc wise there’s only three variants.

I put a rim sprocket on my magnum, it's easy to swap over from the original sprocket, also cheaper and extremely easy when replacement is needed as you just swap the rim part. It's just one circlip and washer that holds it.

I use mine for milling with a canon 28" lopro then simply swap the rim to change over to the original 30" 404 bar for groundwork and felling, it's been fantastic.
I milled at the full width in dense old growth Yew the other day and it coped fine.
30" 404 is the absolute maximum I'd put on, should really be around 25" to make the most of the power and weight distribution. I will probably get a light Tsumura or light Sugihara of that size once the 30" Stihl bar has got too knackered. (They can be de-burred and filed with the guide thing I've forgotten the name of... To run straight and true, so long as they are not bent out of shape or bearing gone at the tip, will be as good as new)

Pretty sure it's an AV and magnum, I think they started making all their saws AV after a certain date and/or for the European market possibly, can't quite remember.

Anyway you can't go wrong but any saw or engine even will eventually need a rebuild to run perfectly. I've never had to do anything much to mine which surprised me, it is superb.

If the starter is Magnesium, it is an original 038, not super or magnum. If the oil pump cover is mag also, you may have clearance issues when converting to one piece spur or rim sprocket. Trying to remember if opening up the hole in the cover will allow clearance for the spur gear. Been a looooong time since I have had a 2 piece sprocket in the shop.

Nah original cover is identical to this modern version and rim sprocket changeover was easy, no clearance issue at all and took about 2mins.
It says 038 AV magnum on the original metal label and is definitely antivibe and a magnum.

If the starter is Magnesium, it is an original 038, not super or magnum. If the oil pump cover is mag also, you may have clearance issues when converting to one piece spur or rim sprocket. Trying to remember if opening up the hole in the cover will allow clearance for the spur gear. Been a looooong time since I have had a 2 piece sprocket in the shop.
Nah original cover is identical to this modern version and rim sprocket changeover was easy, no clearance issue at all and took about 2mins.
It says 038 AV magnum on the original metal label and is definitely antivibe and a magnum.

This has original mag everything and fits the rim sprocket no problem, no modifications otherwise and is definitely anti-vibe and magnum. I'm in the UK and got it from a guy who bought it from new and never changed anything on it.
The European market may have differed as I said previously, I'm certain this saw is all original, it has equal wear and tear except for the new sprocket/clutch cover I put on which I'm pretty sure is simply from a ms380, the guy I bought it from gave me the cover as the original is cracked but they are identical in almost every aspect including the clearance. The modern one has a hole where you adjust chain tension but otherwise the same.

I can show the new rim sprocket etc, I have the original spur sprocket too that I took out though it's worn and no longer needed. Maybe one day I'll put it all back to original and sell it for retirement!

Attachments

• IMG_20220805_163822.jpg
    IMG_20220805_163822.jpg
    774.9 KB · Views: 0
Back