Stihl 026 clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillettadam

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just bought a fairly tidy but non running 026. Long story short I got it running today but turns out the clutch has been smoked so the chain is dragging. It does almost stop but not quite. Upon investigation the drum is blued from heat and the plastic cover for the brake mechanism is charred. Annoying but never mind. I'd like to use OEM parts to repair but don't have a money tree!! I'm aiming to keep the drum and the clutch shoes but to replace just the springs. I will replace the drum in the future when the current chain bites the dust as it is on a spur sprocket and I would like to upgrade to a rim sprocket. If i just change the springs will that cause any issues? I'm guessing it will be okay to then upgrade the drum in the future when it gets a new bar and chain. I'm going to replace the crank seals as although the saw runs fine at the moment they are going to be in the region of 30 years old I suspect and if the clutch side one has been exposed to high heat then I think it best to change them now rather than later. Grateful for any input, hopefully I can get away without having to buy a whole clutch assembly!

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back