Stihl 038 issues when cutting on its side

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd56823

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 038 that runs great when cutting upright but when I turn it on it’s side it loses power/gas and doesn’t cut. I have replaced fuel line, filter, plug, so my next guess is carb rebuild or new carb. Am I going in the right direction or has anyone got any other resolutions? Any help is appreciated.

After your suggestion last night, I took another look at my saw. IT Is new to me so when I found there is no vent tube and that is where the gas and air is leaking! I am sure that’s my issue. Thanks for the help!
A leaking fuel vent won’t cause the problem your describing. When you tip it what side is up? Flywheel side? Clutch side?

If the fuel level is low enough it will starve for fuel when tipped flywheel side up. You should definitely replace the fuel tank vent, also inspect the pulse hose and crank seals. Since your not able to do a vacuum/pressure test I’d recommend replacing all the parts I just mentioned. The peace of mind alone is worth it and then at least you know what your working with.

I'm probably getting some flak for what I'm writing now, but anywhos:
A 20 bucks pressure/vac tester from Amazon works just fine for me. Don't need the high quality MightyVac one for occasional use.

If the fuel level is low enough it will starve for fuel when tipped flywheel side up. You should definitely replace the fuel tank vent, also inspect the pulse hose and crank seals. Since your not able to do a vacuum/pressure test I’d recommend replacing all the parts I just mentioned. The peace of mind alone is worth it and then at least you know what your working with.
Thanks for the suggestions and places to start! I would agree with the piece of mind replacing those seals/parts with the older saw.

You said the vent was missing? The fuel is coming out the vent and being sucked in the air filter. Fix the vent first. Fuel line with 2 grub screws in it. Common issue on an older Stihl.
Do the easy stuff first.

My top handled Echo was doing that. It had two issues. 1) fuel line in carb wasn't flexible enough anymore and wouldn't "follow the fuel" in the tank. 2) diaphragm in the carb was bad - that needed swapping out too.

My top handled Echo was doing that. It had two issues. 1) fuel line in carb wasn't flexible enough anymore and wouldn't "follow the fuel" in the tank. 2) diaphragm in the carb was bad - that needed swapping out too.
I have replaced the fuel line recently so, it "follows" fine. I hope replacing the vent works to fix the problem. Thank you..

You said the vent was missing? The fuel is coming out the vent and being sucked in the air filter. Fix the vent first. Fuel line with 2 grub screws in it. Common issue on an older Stihl.
Do the easy stuff first.
stihltech,

The easy stuff pays off sometimes! The vent fixed the problem for a small expense, I agree with your mindset to fix simple things first before I tear into something I really didn't need to and cost more money and time.

Latest posts

Back