Stihl 038 Magnum II - Slight Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check the trading post here. Also Craigs list and fleabay. Sometimes saws show up at tag sales or farm auctions.

Most people don't realize most "scored" cylinders can be cleaned up so parts saws are worth a look. Even if P/C is no good the "carcass" can still be a parts source.

I found a NOS/OEM P/C on fleabay a few years back that was cheaper in cost than an Italian Tecomec at the time.

If you can find an Italian NOS Tecomec P/C assy they were OEM quality. They have since moved production somewhere in the far east. I think Meteor is still all Italian but have not worked with their cylinders. There is a slew of Chi-Com manufacturers but I've not seen any that are as good as OEM casting, plating or finish.
Yep I agree. I picked up a fried 044. It was $125 and just needed a new set of rings and a flat of the piston and a clean of the cylinder. It now works a treat.

So here is the Mag in use. Noodling through a mix of birch and fir. Works well and cuts fast. Only problem I have found now is that from Stone cold it blips off full choke and then floods on half choke. I have yet to check if it starts from cold on half choke, my guess is it will. I think it wants to flood when starting.. is this a known issue? It runs, idles, cleans up in the cut and idles down nice and fast. I thought about leaning the L mixture but doing this makes the saw idle down way too slowly as the saw is too lean.

IMAG1034.jpg IMAG1037.jpg

Impulse, how i set mine (Bing carb) heated up a feeler gauge with a soldering iron,because it's plastic and moved it ever so slightly until it was flush with carb base. Runs perfect, never floods.

Hi there, so I am guessing you mean the plastic t piece on the actual carb body? As the impulse tube is rubber? I will try this, any logic behind it? It's a bing carb too...

Yep, tried starting it this morning. My assumptions were correct.. Skip the full choke procedure, starts from half choke/fast idle. I will look into the impulse this evening.

The lever that lifts the needle valve. Check walbro for a video that describes the impulse circut and how to set the heig ht

OK, So you mean the metering lever inside the carb, its plastic?? I had trouble with a no longer with me husq 455 with the metering lever on that. It kept getting stuck on wide open.

If the diaphragm has a little tit poking down, flush with the base/bottom. If it has no tit, a half mm below the surface you have your gauge across.

If the diaphragm has a little tit poking down, flush with the base/bottom. If it has no tit, a half mm below the surface you have your gauge across.
Yep got it all apart. Not particularly keen on a plastic lever. Seems more of a pain than a metal one to adjust. Got it moved though. All back together good carb clean too. It started first time, no flooding. Winner. Thanks.

Just finished the rebuild, full strip, clean, prep, paint and the worx. Quite happy, this will not be a shelf queen though. Just wanted it to look nicer and last longer! Attached the image of the build.

Attachments

• IMG_20170330_231303_111.jpg
    640 KB · Views: 18
Back