Stihl 038 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before pulling it down run a compression check and a vacuum/pressure test. This is important information to know if anything is wrong as why it may have happened.
I thought for sure my piston would be wore out with all the use it had as a rental but it was pristine. New rings and some rubber parts was all it needed.
I'm pretty sure I have a spare switch from a replacement tank due to a cracked handle. if it were me, I would ditch that chain, run a few tests and if things look good run it.

Rburtcher if you are willing to let go of the switch let me know. Probably gonna be a few weeks before I get to look at it. Between ball games, cheer and work plus a chopper I am building. Spare time is well rare. But I am trying to pick up some parts that I know I need. And again thanks for all the advice and help.

Rburtcher if you are willing to let go of the switch let me know. Probably gonna be a few weeks before I get to look at it. Between ball games, cheer and work plus a chopper I am building. Spare time is well rare. But I am trying to pick up some parts that I know I need. And again thanks for all the advice and help.
Good luck on the chopper. That Stihl 038 will sit there for at least a year. See you in 2014, Tonto. :potstir:

I hope not. Should have the chopper done within a month or two. This will be the 5th tear down and rebuild on it. Should just leave it alone but I get bored in the winter time and always find something I want to change that requires a complete tear down.

WEll I have the chopper done and took a few trips so know to get on the Sthil and get it running. I think I mentioned earlier that the reason for this damage, I beleieve, is the previous owner lost the muffler and did not know it. So he continued to run it minus muffler. I took a few pics of the cylinder and piston, the exhaust side of the piston skirt shows marks on it. I know I need a intake boot from the carb to cylinder and a new on/off switch, so far. Also I would think a new piston and cylinder. I have been thinking about sending it out for a port job while doing all this work, figure do it all at once. Anyway let me know what you guys think. Any opinions or recommendations welcome.

Am I correct in thinking that I am going to need a new P/C?
That cylinder looks like I would use it again.

The piston looks iffy ........ by that, iffyn you can wipe that crud off the one side and dont see some scratches that will catch a fingernail, you could just throw Caber rings on it and give her a go.

Iffyn it were me, I would order a Meteor piston with Caber rings from Watson (Randy) or Baileys for it, ditch the base gasket, grind away on that cylinder you have there (put up a new thread about porting it) and run it !!

I just paid $49.99 including shipping for a Meteor with Cabers for my 038 Mag

I appreciate the advice. Why lose the base gasket? is just to bump up the cylinder pressure? Should I do anything to the cylinder walls besides make sure they are clean? Like a lite scuff with a pad or something? Also does the cylinder have any kind of coating on the walls? Sorry for so many questions just want to make sure I do not mess it up.

I appreciate the advice. Why lose the base gasket? is just to bump up the cylinder pressure? Should I do anything to the cylinder walls besides make sure they are clean? Like a lite scuff with a pad or something? Also does the cylinder have any kind of coating on the walls? Sorry for so many questions just want to make sure I do not mess it up.

Tossing the bease gasket is a good way to up the cylinder pressure, which will add some more power to that good saw.
Do not do anything to the cylinder, except use a solvent to clean it and make sure it is super clean before re-assembly. I use 2 cycly oil as assembly lube. The cylinder does have a hard coating on its walls that you want to keep.

Remember to re-tune the saw when you start it.

What is a number or website for watsons(randy)? Also did you have any trouble when ordering from baileys? Seen where they had some high shipping charges and long wait times on parts. Just wondering if that had been resolved or was still going on.

What is a number or website for watsons(randy)? Also did you have any trouble when ordering from baileys? Seen where they had some high shipping charges and long wait times on parts. Just wondering if that had been resolved or was still going on.

Here is Randys info
Weedeaterman

Havent had any problems with Baileys at all

I see a lot of guys fuss about Baileys shipping, and I will admit it isnt cheap... But its coming from the west coast via UPS. I dont know about anyone else, but I pay a fortune in shipping anytime I ship to the west coast. Their customer service is one of the best in the industry that I have seen.
With that said, Randy and Henry (WeedeaterMan) are some great guys too with excellent customer service. Their prices are great, they ship super fast too, and I see a lot of great things going for them. I wouldnt hesitate to do business with them.

You couldnt go wrong with either one.

I have a NOS Mag piston and cylinder kit I'd sell. PM me if you're interested. Nice saw too, those mags are nice runners, I have one and really like it!

Latest posts

Back