Stihl 041 clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think thats a bingo Harley.I have not attempted to remove the clutch as I was busy cleaning the gas tank and carb.The inside of the tank was coated with 1/8 inch thick of hardend varnished gas.The carb was coated the same and the diaphrams were like coated cardboard i got the carb cleaned and soaked and massaged the diaphrams with brake fluid.The 041 is now running well but I see a missing muffler bolt.I will attempted to remove the clutch tomorrow .Thanks for the parts diagram.
Kash

I have used the rope in the cylinder with good results with only one flop it was on a Skidoo Elan Rotax single.The motor was just rebuilt and I put in the rope so I could tighten the clutch but I had the piston to low and It jambed the rope between the piston and exhaust outlet seized tight with brain cells overloaded with beer I took some drastic measures which seemed like the best move at the time and now the motor is permenently out of service.I use the battery impact on saws but on this clutch I can not I still am unsure were to tap it what ever happens I can not blame it on the beer anymore.
Kash

I do not think a standard puller will work as the sliding piece blocks the acsses.I got the clutch off the 041 and and got the donor one off a 031.I put starting cord down the cylinder and used a large punch and a plow hammer it took a lot of blows to remove them.
The donor clutch has the same part numbers but the clutch shoes are not lined with pads.Are they supposed to be bare metal?
Thanks to all for your help.
Kash

At some point they discontinued the shoes. My understanding is they are interchangeable

Clutch is changed rope hammer and large punch.The saw from hell story continues no oil to the bar and pto seal shot.I removed the oiler and tryed to blow air from the oil tank but it was plugged when I sucked back it l started to free up sprayed carb cleaner in the oil delivery hole and blasted with air and it is now clear.
Is 9629 003 2860 the correct number for the pto seal and can you still order it at the dealer or is it NLA also could some one give me the dimension of the seal as I could go to a bearing supplier if I have too. Thanks
Kash

The Stihl dealer informed me that the 041 oil seal 9629 003 2860 is NLA he said he could not find any dealers that had one in stock.Does any one know if another newer Stihl or another maker used this seal 25x37x7
Thanks Kash

The declutch chain brake or first style. You should use a pin wrench. It has two pins that will fit into two holes on the top of the declutch plate. Part NLA but can he converted to a present style clutch center or spider. Wll still stop via the band but not as good.
At least this is how I repaired the last 25 or so.

Latest posts

Back