Stihl 041 losin it's nuts (and bolts...)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SawGarage

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
all the side'covers' are loose recoil/tank, etc..

It had some non-stihl bolts in there previously, but they keep backing out (buddy's saw...)

thoughts on repair? should I stik with Stihl fasteners, or maybe some blue locktite??

thanks guys!

anyone know the thread pitch of the recoil bolts??

J

If the underside of the bolt head has a saw tooth pattern, it should be self locking once torqued down correctly.

If the underside of the bolt is smooth use either loctite or a locwasher.

Often times I wonder if people over torque those steel bolts/screws into aluminum parts and strip them out. I think they naturally rattle loose on the 041s, but people try to crank them harder, thus stripping them out and making more problems.

CT

I went to a 5 mm longer screws and locktight and that helped a lot. I did 5 mm longer carb studs/screws to help keep the carb tight. It is part of the joy of a 041.

Often times I wonder if people over torque those steel bolts/screws into aluminum parts and strip them out. I think they naturally rattle loose on the 041s, but people try to crank them harder, thus stripping them out and making more problems.

CT

That's what I'm dealing with on ATLEAST one recoil bolt. it will grab..but SOFTLY... almost ready to re-tap for 6mm...

There is no plastic on any of the horizontal cylinder Stihls... :)

Gary

That's what I was thinking...

LOL... Stihl horizontal cyl saw engineers invented blue locktite. :laugh:

J

A worn sprocket increases vibration levels also. Chain and sprocket should wear together for smoother operation, and I also use blue loctite on 041's. I also agree. Some it seems the threads get overtightened , then its harder to keep the screws from loosening.

Ah yes, nothing like stump cutting with an 075 and finishing with the fuel tank laying on the ground. That saw had helicoil inserts and retapped bolts, metric and standard. Finally got it to hold together and put it on a mill.

Chris B.

well, it's back together :clap: i was able to put a decent amount of torque on each one...with the blue locktite..so, hopefully after 24hrs, we should be ok,..

Now I just need some replacement bolts for the 044 I stole them from to get this saw going!! :dizzy:

J

Back