Stihl 041 Starting Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duke1122

Duke1122

ArboristSite Lurker
I have a Stihl 041 AVQ that I inherited from my father. When it ran it ran great. It would start right up and run when it was cold. After heating up it would quit running and would not start until it cooled down. I was told that it was probably the coil and I would not be able to get a replacement for. Well being curious, I took it apart and found that it was really dirty. Proceeded to clean it up, taking it further apart including taking off carburetor, muffler, and the cylinder. Also replaced sprocket, bar and chain. Put engine back together with new gaskets and carburetor. Removed flywheel to look at the ignition. I found that the insulation was literally falling of the kill switch wire and the insulation on the sparkplug wire was partially melted due to contact with the cylinder cooling fins. Pealed the flaking insulation off the kill switch wire and put shrink-wrap around it, wrapped the plug wire with electrical tape and put everything back together. Now it will not fire up at all. Spark at the plug seems weak. Made sure that the timing marks on the stator plate and housing were aligned but does not want to start running. Any suggestions as to what I am missing?

Jackbnimble

Jackbnimble

Addicted to ArboristSite
What kind a fuel are you runnin in her? Is it old/contaminated? Did you replace the fuel filter? Is shrink wrap a good insulator? Are you still gettin spark since you re-wrapped the wires?

To be honest (in case you hadn't noticed) I have no idea and you should never take anything I suggest as having any merit whatsoever. Just so you know.

Duke1122

Duke1122

ArboristSite Lurker
What kind a fuel are you runnin in her? Is it old/contaminated? Did you replace the fuel filter? Is shrink wrap a good insulator? Are you still gettin spark since you re-wrapped the wires?

To be honest (in case you hadn't noticed) I have no idea and you should never take anything I suggest as having any merit whatsoever. Just so you know.
Fresh fuel, Fuel filter new. Yes, shrink wrap is an electrical insulator. Spark as stated originally.
Don't worry about your comments. Taken as intended.

rd35

Just an average Joe's brother!!
. AS Supporting Member.
Have you changed spark plugs? When I run into this kind of problem it is usually a bad condenser (if you have no points then you have no condenser either) or a bad spark plug. Sometimes old plugs will get a crack in the porcelain that closes up when cold and opens up when hot creating a path for short circuit arching which kills the spark at the electrode. As soon as the saw cools down the gap closes and you have spark again. Eventually the gap won't close anymore and, at best, you will get a very weak spark if any at all.

Duke1122

Duke1122

ArboristSite Lurker
Have you changed spark plugs? When I run into this kind of problem it is usually a bad condenser (if you have no points then you have no condenser either) or a bad spark plug. Sometimes old plugs will get a crack in the porcelain that closes up when cold and opens up when hot creating a path for short circuit arching which kills the spark at the electrode. As soon as the saw cools down the gap closes and you have spark again. Eventually the gap won't close anymore and, at best, you will get a very weak spark if any at all.
New spark plug. And the one removed was in good condition also.

Latest posts