Stihl 041AV-HELP- OK that was stupid!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blkbird

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Stihl 041AV-HELP- OK that was stupid!!-PART 2

OK so this was really moronic and now I need help.Had a problem with my 041av chainsaw oiler so I opened it up and fixed it-plugged passages.Now this is where the stupid comes in.The machine was really dirty so I stuck the hose to it.Reassembled everything and now I don't have a spark at the plug. Opened it again took the flywheel out but I can't take the magneto out to dry things off it and the condenser and points (figured that would be the problem)
Is there a trick to doing this or perhaps some other solution? :angry:
Thanx

Last edited:
Welcome. Even if you use degreaser or gas,

be sure to thoroughly blow out every nook & cranny. An air gun & compressor would be the tools of choice. Oh yeah-there are several threads & posts regarding cleaning a saw, try the search feature.

Gotta agree with FHCW advice to dry that saw out, then see what you might be facing. Best of luck to you!

thanx for the tips.I'll give this a try.With a bit of luck she won't end up at the shop :cry:

Shop? What??

If you can operate a screwdriver & a wrench at the same time ;) , there are folks here who can walk you through just about anything.

Well it looks like the ol' blowdryer trick works wonders or at least it worked for me.Now the machine seems to bog down a little when I take the choke off but I think it might just have to do with a little more drying of things.
thanx to all :blob2:

OK the darn problem is back :angry: ......I blow dried the daylights out of it and I'm still not getting a spark...AGAIN. I noticed the lastime when I placed the cover back on the flywheel the screws would be magnetized and stick to my screwdriver. Not this time.I would love to take the cover off to access the magnet and points and condenser but just don't know how? I would sure appreciate some help. Also is there a place I could get a schematic of my 041AV farmboss ( I figure it wouldn't hurt in trying to get it apart).Stihl USA is just no help in that dept. for whatever reason
Thanx in advance to all that reply

Last edited:
Thanx old saw
Now where would that be and how do I get to it.....those schematics sure would come in handy

schematic

Don't need no stinking schematic with 2 wires! :p

Just kidding.

You need to get the flywheel off and check the points and wiring. Make sure the points ground well. As close to zero on the lowest ohms scale you can get.
The module is not a bad idea, but, 041 points are pretty servicable. I bet you will find moisture inside. Clean them up really good. If they are burned badly, look for a module.
Check the switch also.

How the heck do you get this flywheel out? I've unscrrewed the nut and it still won't come off?
thanx

The label on WD-40 says "Starts wet engines", and it does! I have an old Porsche that hates to get rained on; won't start. WD-40 to the rescue again this morning! Just mist the whole thing down and the water falls off. It gets into all the little nooks and crannies, too!

Jimbo

Back