Stihl 041G?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drsamm

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anybody ever seen one of these? Is it good for anything in particular? Saw it on local CL and thought it might be something to get and fool around with until I saw his price...he sure is proud of it. It does appear to be in really good condition for it's probable age. Is this thing that rare and/or worth this kind of money? His ad script is below. For some reason, can't get the pictures of it to come over...somebody out there might want one of these??

Rare vintage Stihl 041G Chainsaw with the old bow bar and chain, runs good, nice original condition. See specs below. 800.00

MANUFACTURED BY: STIHL ANDREAS MASCHINENFABRIK
STUTTGART, GERMANY
SERIES OR ASSEMBLY NUMBER: 1112
YEAR INTRODUCED: 1969
YEAR DISCONTINUED:
ENGINE DISPLACEMENT: 61ccm
NUMBER OF CYLINDERS: 1
CYLINDER BORE: 44mm (1.73 in.)
PISTON STROKE: 40mm (1.57 in.)
CYLINDER TYPE: Aluminum with chrome plated bore
INTAKE METHOD: Piston ported
MANUFACTURER ADVERTISED H.P.:
WEIGHT :
OPERATOR CONFIGURATION: One Man operation
HANDLEBAR SYSTEM: Rigid
CHAIN BRAKE: none
CLUTCH: Centrifugal
DRIVE TYPE: Gear reduction
CONSTRUCTION: Die cast magnesium
MAGNETO TYPE: Capacitor Discharge electronic
CARBURETOR: Tillotson HS series
MAJOR REPAIR KIT:
MINOR REPAIR KIT:
AIR FILTER SYSTEM: Wire gauze element
STARTER TYPE: Stihl automatic rewind
OIL PUMP: Automatic
OPERATING RPM:
IGNITION TIMING: 2.3 to 2.7mm (0.090 to 0.106 in.)
BREAKER POINT SETTING: 0.35 to 0.40mm (0.014 to 0.016 in.)
FLYWHEEL/COIL AIR GAP:
SPARK PLUG TYPE: Bosch WSR6F
SPARK PLUG GAP: 0.5mm (0.020 in.)
CRANKSHAFT MAIN BEARINGS: Ball
FUEL TANK CAPACITY: 620ml
FUEL OIL RATIO: 40:1 with Stihl oil
RECOMMENDED FUEL OCTANE: Regular
MIX OIL SPECIFICATION: Stihl two-cycle chain saw mix oil
CHAIN PITCH: 1/2 in. optional .404 in.
CHAIN TYPE: Stihl
BAR MOUNT PATTERN:
SHORTEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED: 50cm (20 in.)
LONGEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED: 63cm (25 in.)
COLOUR SCHEME: Grey with Red top
PAINT CODES:
ILLUSTRATED PARTS LIST:
SERVICE MANUAL:

the reason nobody is posting is b/c everyone is trying to find the CL add to buy the saw... You're about to get snaked by the Stihl guys around here. Some have been waiting on a gear drive 041 for years... $800 is pretty dang high end though...

041g

Oh, I don't mind getting snookered on this one. If it was something I wanted to drop this kind of money on, I wouldn't post it here! (Thanks for the warning though!!) I was posting to see if anybody would want one. I like to find Stihls for a good price and even like to renew the older ones, but I'm afraid this one would be something that would be totally useless to me. So if anybody is interested in it, let me know and I'll get the guy's number...would be glad to see somebody get it who really wanted one and would take care of it...

Yeah price is retarded but I would love to have a gear drive 041 especially with a bow bar.

That price is waay out of line unless it is NIB.

The saw looks decent, but $450 is tops in my book.

yeah that's kinda where I was at but i'm not a collector and REALLY want one... we all know what happens when 2 collectors get in a frenzy over a nice saw. (IE: the 166 that went for huge money a month or two back on ebay)

Na, certainly not near a NIB condition, but does look pretty clean and well cared for. I would call it above average for something of this age. But as you say, it's FAR above what I would even think of paying for something like this as it would only be a curiosity to me. My dad had a big bow saw similar to this back in the 60's and all I remember about it was that it looked pretty dangerous. Seems like his was a Homelite, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I wouldn't even know what to do with it if I had it and had an urge to see what it would do. They still look pretty spooky and dangerous to me! I'm sure somebody will happen along that would love to have one though...

Have you ran a regular 041av? Think heavier and slower. I had a gear drive 10-10 and for some reason running it was not as much fun as running a large homelite or mcculloch gear drive. For that price I would hold out for a nice 797, or I know where a good running mac 660 is for a lot less.

I have wondered why stihl made such a thing, it probably weighs far more than a McCulloch 650/660 does and is much less capable. A 10 series gear-drive of the same displacement seems tiny.

No, I've never run any of the large older Stihls and never one of any brand that was gear driven. If this 041G had a regular bar and chain on it and was about $500 cheaper, I might want to take a look at it. But I think this fellow has something that's pretty scarce and wants to get the most he can for it. Can't blame him for that, but I can't imagine paying that much for one. Anyway, oldest thing I had was an 028 WB. With the exception of an 046 and an 066 most all of mine are of the newer style. Forgot about one other... found a really nice 034AV Super the other day and picked it up for next to nothing. Runs great, only needed an air box cover and could use a B & C. But as for the 041's, 45's, 56's, etc...I've never run or owned one - yet. Would like to get one of the big old ones though, like an 056 mag.. or possibly an 038 Mag II. I've seen a few pretty nice ones for sale on Ebay, but they want far more than they would be worth to me...I'll run up on one or both one day though...just have to be patient.

It's all about supply and demand. The 041G is quite the rare saw. It's a saw that I thought I might never own. Before the last few months, i only remember one or two of them selling in the last several years. I'm fortunate enough to now have two of them. I'm in the process of doing a complete restoration on one of them, including powder coating all the parts. The other is a complete runner in excellent condition. I'm not doing a complete restoration on it, but do have a couple of the parts out for powder coating as well.

I have wondered why stihl made such a thing, it probably weighs far more than a McCulloch 650/660 does and is much less capable. A 10 series gear-drive of the same displacement seems tiny.

It is a very odd saw, in that it is a gear drive saw, but is only 60cc. Most gear drive saws have large engines. I suspect this is why there are so few of them, and thus, why they are so valuable now.

It is a very odd saw, in that it is a gear drive saw, but is only 60cc. Most gear drive saws have large engines. I suspect this is why there are so few of them, and thus, why they are so valuable now.

Rare? Yes and evidence that the design failed. There are a lot of gear-drives that are six cubes or better, if you start thinking about the Orlines, the Mac 33/35/39s, 10 series, Mac 80cc models, Cox Beavers, 5+- cube Homelites....there are many small and medium gear-drives that were successful.

The 041 is just a blah saw, only thing going for them is the exhaust note, I will have to say I do like them better than the 042-048 series.

The 041 series are very good saws, they make very good torque. There just getting a little hard to get parts for.

Rare? Yes and evidence that the design failed. There are a lot of gear-drives that are six cubes or better, if you start thinking about the Orlines, the Mac 33/35/39s, 10 series, Mac 80cc models, Cox Beavers, 5+- cube Homelites....there are many small and medium gear-drives that were successful.

I've been wanting to ask someone that would know from experience the answer to this question. I remember reading that companies wouldn't allow direct drives for limbing when they first came out. Maybe this was because of the faster cutting speed caused a bunch of injuries from guys getting whipped by a limb when it unloads? Does anyone know anything about this? Some guys may have just stuck with a gear drive, and that's why stihl made the 41G.

Latest posts

Back