Stihl 044 models??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oaknbarl

Reaction score
Hi,
I know there has been much discussion on this model so I'll make this short. I bought a Stihl 028 Super a few years ago after looking at SEVERAL different versions(028, 028 Super, etc...) of it. I'm looking for a Stihl 044 now. How many versions of the 044 are there and are there any real differences I should know about?
Thanks for any replies.

From what I understand, in the early 90's they switched from a 10mm to a 12mm wrist pin which is a bit stronger. I'm sure everyone else can chime in with more differences. Good choice of saw though!

You will get ALL sorts of answers if you read the chainsaw forum on this site, or ask this there.
A search there will give you want you want also.
Rich S.

You may want to reconsider the 044 and look at an 038 magnum instead. it is a couple cc'c bigger at 72cc, and because it was so popular there are a lot of parts available including aftermarket P&C kits.

Quick ebay poll.... the 044 is twice as popular as the 038 (60 items vs. 31) Yes you can get aftermarket p/c (bailey's). The cc difference? Yes it has more cc, but its stroke is 1.7mm shorter. Meaning that the torque you get out of it is lower, despite higher cc. (only 2.2cc different) Some 038s are 50mm not 52mm meaning they have 66.8cc

I didn't know the stroke on the 038 was shorter than the 044. I have an 038 mag and have used it for milling occasionaly. I mention this because I would not recomend a saw in this class for a milling saw. It will pull a 32" bar and mill 24" board, and in this scenario any extra torque is appriciated. this is why for anything over 12" I break out my 051 which has way more torque. I use my 038 mag primarily for bucking and it has been a great saw for me.

As far as popularity I think that Baliey's offering every single part of the 038 avalable as aftermarket speaks of this saws popularity. I'm sure there is a great deal of crossover parts between the 038, 044,046 so that the choice to produce the 038 was not solely bsed on that one saw. similar to the 070/090 part cross over.

The saw you posted the link for looks like it has a chunk broken off the case where the inboard dogs mount. hard to tell from the dark poor quality pics but in any case it is missing its dogs. Not sure about the 044 but the 038 only came with inboard dogs as standard with the outboard being availabe from the dealer. Don't mean to diss your chioce of saws but the one in the link looks a bit rough. I would think you could find one without a broken case for a similar price with a bit of patience.

The link was on topic- Different 044 models- And is not a first class example.

Bailey's was going to offer these parts sets. But they were also going to offer 044 sets. Both got aborted. Some 038 parts are available.
I think they are both great saws, but for milling i'd take the 044. -actually i'd take an 066 but... you know...

Latest posts

Back