Stihl 044 Oiler Problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r0858

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Can any one tell me how to get the oil tube out of the oiler tank. My 044 is not throwing little to no oil out. When I was cutting the chain and bar started smoking, hope I didnt do any damage to anything.. there is a black area on the front of the bar. Im guessing it hasnt been oiling for a while.
Thanks to your good post, I was able to take it all the way down get the clutch off. Putting a rope in the cylinder was the trickiest part. Ive taken off the oil tube filter screen just cant get the tube out the oil tank. Ive read some post but didnt quite understand what they meant in some areas..since I have the oil pump out, what does the oil hose attach to?

Is there anything that I need to look at while I got the oil pump out and everything cleaned up, plan on putting it back together in the next couple days.. If pictures are needed I can post.

Bar should be fine! maybe just check edges, quick couple passes with a file!

Others will chime in on the pump!
But even so, the service manual has a good walk thru.

Can any one tell me how to get the oil tube out of the oiler tank. My 044 is not throwing little to no oil out. When I was cutting the chain and bar started smoking, hope I didnt do any damage to anything.. there is a black area on the front of the bar. Im guessing it hasnt been oiling for a while.
Thanks to your good post, I was able to take it all the way down get the clutch off. Putting a rope in the cylinder was the trickiest part. Ive taken off the oil tube filter screen just cant get the tube out the oil tank. Ive read some post but didnt quite understand what they meant in some areas..since I have the oil pump out, what does the oil hose attach to?

Is there anything that I need to look at while I got the oil pump out and everything cleaned up, plan on putting it back together in the next couple days.. If pictures are needed I can post.

From what your describing sounds like a worn worm gear that spins the oil pump. If its oiling some chances are good the system is not clogged but clean anyway. Check that worm gear closely. If its skipping when spinning the oil pump you get very little oil...

attachment.php

Worm gear is parts 12 and 13. Its one piece together on your saw. Check that the metal arm is not loose on that plastic gear, if it is there's your problem. Check the plastic gear as well for wear.

Thanks, I sure need that pictorial. I wasnt sure if someparts were going back in the right spot. And Ill post a pic of my worm gear and pump tomorrow

attachment.php

Worm gear is parts 12 and 13. Its one piece together on your saw. Check that the metal arm is not loose on that plastic gear, if it is there's your problem. Check the plastic gear as well for wear.

Thanks, I sure need that pictorial. I wasnt sure if someparts were going back in the right spot. And Ill post a pic of my worm gear and pump tomorrow

Well check that metal arm coming off that plastic gear. If you can hold the plastic gear in one hand and spin that arm with your other hand easily there's your problem. That arm should be tight on that plastic gear. That plastic gear is what spins your oil pump. That metal arm is what spins that plastic gear by way of a small cut out groove in your sprocket drum, you can see that cut out in part 21 at the top of the drum..

I just made the check you suggested. The metal arm turns with the plastic piece when going clockwise, but I can turn the arm and hold the plastic piece steady going counter clock wise. A going counterclock wise takes a litte bit of force.

Well check that metal arm coming off that plastic gear. If you can hold the plastic gear in one hand and spin that arm with your other hand easily there's your problem. That arm should be tight on that plastic gear. That plastic gear is what spins your oil pump. That metal arm is what spins that plastic gear by way of a small cut out groove in your sprocket drum, you can see that cut out in part 21 at the top of the drum..

I just made the check you suggested. The metal arm turns with the plastic piece when going clockwise, but I can turn the arm and hold the plastic piece steady going counter clock wise. A going counterclock wise takes a litte bit of force.

Hmmmm, may be ok then. Time to clean out the oil system. You got the pump off, remove the oil pick up hose out the tank from the clutch side, not by the oil cap. Just pull it out. Clean the oil strainer and blow out the hose to make sure everything is clean and open. The oil pump you can take apart and clean but I would soak it instead of doing all that. Really isn't much to the oil system, three main parts, worm gear, oil pick up hose with strainer and pump. If everything is clean and worm gear is working that leaves the pump...

Yeah you were actually thinking about what I just did. I put the oil pump in gas and Im going to clean out the tank with some carburetor cleaner etc.. I saw a screw on the oil pump on the side of it..Is this for oil adjustment, if so which way. You can only get a quarter turn out of the screw anyways.

Hmmmm, may be ok then. Time to clean out the oil system. You got the pump off, remove the oil pick up hose out the tank from the clutch side, not by the oil cap. Just pull it out. Clean the oil strainer and blow out the hose to make sure everything is clean and open. The oil pump you can take apart and clean but I would soak it instead of doing all that. Really isn't much to the oil system, three main parts, worm gear, oil pick up hose with strainer and pump. If everything is clean and worm gear is working that leaves the pump...

Yeah you were actually thinking about what I just did. I put the oil pump in gas and Im going to clean out the tank with some carburetor cleaner etc.. I saw a screw on the oil pump on the side of it..Is this for oil adjustment, if so which way. You can only get a quarter turn out of the screw anyways.

Yup thats the oil flow adjustment. Clean everything good and toss it back together. If it still doesn't pump oil you got two options, buy a pump or try another worm gear. Me, considering its a 044, not a young saw by no means, if I were to replace the pump I'd replace the worm gear at the sametime. Try it first and see what she does though....

Thanks for the advice. I need to learn to work on my own saws anyway rather than taking them to the dealer..labor rate is just too much now.

how much do you think a new pum and worm gear will cost me off ebay?

Yup thats the oil flow adjustment. Clean everything good and toss it back together. If it still doesn't pump oil you got two options, buy a pump or try another worm gear. Me, considering its a 044, not a young saw by no means, if I were to replace the pump I'd replace the worm gear at the sametime. Try it first and see what she does though....

Thanks for the advice. I need to learn to work on my own saws anyway rather than taking them to the dealer..labor rate is just too much now.

how much do you think a new pum and worm gear will cost me off ebay?

New pump is around 60 bucks I think, I'm esitmating here. Worm gear 11-12.00 bucks. If you got a Stihl dealer near by take that worm gear there and compare it with a new one. You need to see how tight that arm is suppose to be..

On e-bay its hard to tell what a pump would cost, hell may get one for 5 bucks but will it pump is da question..

Try it after cleaning everything first, hell it may puke oil ,LOL

I hope it starts pouring oil, and Ill go to the stihl dealer tomorrow.
I do ebay from time to time, but the prices are just ridiculously high sometimes, and like you said will it actually pump.. This is my first bighead stihl and i hope it works out..

Happen to know anyone (individual, website, business) excluding ebay that sell part saws.. And yeah I did buy this one off craigslist, lol

New pump is around 60 bucks I think, I'm esitmating here. Worm gear 11-12.00 bucks. If you got a Stihl dealer near by take that worm gear there and compare it with a new one. You need to see how tight that arm is suppose to be..

On e-bay its hard to tell what a pump would cost, hell may get one for 5 bucks but will it pump is da question..

Try it after cleaning everything first, hell it may puke oil ,LOL

Back