Stihl 044 rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For which saw? There aren't any current pro models where the conrod comes off so you could replace the bearing.

Tom

Especially the current pro models. I did a post earlier in this thread about how this type of crank disassembles and goes back together. The process would be the exact reverse of the way the factory assembles them in the first place. I am guessing they don't make the bearing available, they want everyone to buy a whole crank assembly. $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Okay, thanks Lake. The half stihl dealers aka country true value or Ace hardware never have any parts. But the place that i got my New MS 440 from is a Elite stihl dealer, so hopefuly he might have them. All i need is new bearings and seal. Then im good to go:D

I am guessing they don't make the bearing available, they want everyone to buy a whole crank assembly. $$$$$$$$$$$$$

There is more to it than this - most couldn't assemble a crank with the required precision anyhow, and... even if you get big end bearing (they are a standard part - you just need to locate the part number), you still have the wear on the journal and inside the rod to deal with. Most of the cranks made by (or for) Stihl are assembled then fused with a high frequency power burst.

Plently of used cranks available...

Okay, thanks Lake. The half stihl dealers aka country true value or Ace hardware never have any parts. But the place that i got my New MS 440 from is a Elite stihl dealer, so hopefuly he might have them. All i need is new bearings and seal. Then im good to go:D

The gasket kit (includes seals) is 1128 007 1050 - less than $20 for everything.

I just put new crank bearings and crankseals in an older Stihl 020T.

With Lakeside53 and Thall's help it was about a 4 hr. job. This saw is supposed to be real hard to work on..........it wasn't that bad!!!

The trick (I found) is to pick the brains of the guys here first. Taking your time and keeping everything in order. Plastic bags are great for this.

Bailey's sells a Wila tool kit specifically for saws. This is the best $40 or so bucks you can spend!

A few beers during all this helps as well as taking your time!

Do some dealers actually stock the crank bearings and seals?

My local Stihl dealer does. he has just about everything in stock to build a 440, 660 084, 088 046 from the ground up. He had all the bearings and seals for my 084 project.... he was temporarly out of stock of the case gasket...

Local Husky dealer is the same way...

They both supply the local loggers. They go through a ton of saws and a ton of parts....

I don't know if I ever got a straightr answer to my 044 puzzle of what piston-cyl-crank will fit my old 044 with 50mm cyl and 10mm pin. Does the 12mm crank have clearance problem in old style case? I've seen a 50mm/12mm kit at Ebay, but also was replied to that cyl bolts are bigger, or was that on 52mm cyl.:bang:
Still confused,
Mac

but will the older style crank fit into a newer case??? And should the connecting rod feel smotth when you turn it?

Don't know for sure.. most likely... but?? you'll be stuck with the 10mm piston pin, smaller big end bearing etc.. There were good reasons for changing this in 1994.

Yea, but the crank in my newer saw isn't in the best of condition. It doesn't feel smooth when you turn it, but it doesn't feel hard either. Also, all the parts in the older saw are in better condition.

Are you sure it's the crank, or just the old crankcase bearings making it sound/feel rough? If you think it's the crank, try cleaning the big end bearing (ultrasonic cleaner works best - or - put it in a big container of gas sideways and move it a lot!)

well its the connecting rod that feels a little ruff, but doesn't feel that bad. I had a warn out crank in one of my dirt bikes, so i know what to look for. The con-rod bearings where so warn, that the rod would just stick in one position and not move. Maybe if i clean it, it might feel a little better? I don't know.

Well, i finally got to fixing the old 044 this past weekend. I had painted it almost 2 weeks ago, got all the parts a week ago(gasket set and bearings) and bought a $100 press on friday from good old harbor freight. I relied on the one thread about the 066/ms660 rebuild, for pointers. Everything went smoothly going back together. I did a compression check and got a lil over 150 PSI. Then i threw some gas in it and after 3 pulls she fired over. She screams !!!!! Im gonna put a bar on her this weekend and see how she runs in some oak. I'll have to decide if i really wanna sell it now or just keep it:D :D :D :D :D :D What should the rpms be topping out at?

Back