Stihl 045 points for Super electronic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tigereye2195

Reaction score
I have a 045 super electronic ignition which I have had a long sad history with trying to fix. The German ignition for some reason didn't seem to work and my ignition ignition has that irritating problem of quitting after about 10 minutes. I have an old 045 that has a points ignition that I wanted to put in the super. Will that work? I assume I have to use the 045 flywheel.

Before I'd swap cranks in those saws I'd start shopping for a chip. Use the points coil though..keep both flywheels because if one doesn't work with the changeover then the other one might. On some of those older Stihls the lobe is on the crank.

I apologize, I'm somewhat new to chainsaw mechanics and learning as I go. What chip do I need for points ignition and where does it go? Are the lobes pretty obvious? I'll check on that tonight. I'm worried that the German ignition damaged something because there was smoke coming out from under the flywheel after running it for a minute and now it won't even start with the old ignition in it. It seems to pull with too much resistance now and the spark appears weak. Any suggestions on that? It was running fine before the new ignition was put in just would quit after 10 min and I would have to wait 30 min to restart it.

Before you do anything else check and see if the coil isn't too close to the flywheel. If it's rubbing because of a loose bolt or something that might be what's wrong. The lobe on the crank or flywheel is fairly obvious, fairly easy to see if you're looking for it. The chip is only if you can't get your points to work. I generally use a Nova or Nova II, they come with instructions on how to wire them, not complicated, mount somewhere where it will get some cooling air is ideal but the body of the chip must be grounded to the engine of the saw. Some people put it in the carb air box and run the wires down to the coil and kill wire..

According to my handy-dandy 045AVEQZ Super Magnum service manual, the points lobe is on the flywheel/magnet structure- not the crankshaft.

The Bosch points flywheel has the Bosch part number engraved or cast into it: 0 204 003028

The Bosch electronic ignition flywheel/magnet structure is Bosch part #: 0 204 098 002

How do you tell if the point ignition is working? It seems to fit fine, there is spark but won't start.
If it fits okay then I would use it instead of the chip. The timing on a points saw is determined by the points gap and some points systems have a mounting plate that rotates to set the timing with. If your saw has good compression and is getting fuel then your saw might be out of time. Some of the older Stihl saws were kinda hard to set the points gap. On some saws you have to make sure you have the right flywheel to go with the points ignition.

041 had the lobe on the FW, but the 045/056 moved it to the crank snout.

Pic attached below from another lobe post shows it, but has a GE SEM type ignition...which did not use it.

IMG_1990.JPG

The lobe very well could be on the crank, but the Stihl service manual shows it on the flywheel/magnet structure. That wouldn't be the first time though that the service manual was in error.

Latest posts

Back