Stihl 045

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My step father has an 045 Stihl that I use on occasion. I would be interested in information on this saw such as power, years made, and other info that you folks might want to kick in. It's a sweet running saw and the only saw I've ever used that has a starter cord as long as my arm. :rolleyes:

I think this should help you some. Just go to the Stihl section, go through them and find the 045 model that you have. there were a few different ones so be sure which one you have.
Stihl

Over a period of 10 years, there were 4 versions of the 045/056. First was 50mm/75cc, then 52mm/82cc, then 54mm/87cc, then 56mm/94cc. I have examples of the last 3, an 045, 045 Super, 056Mag. All in all, they are a pretty strong saw. Tons of torque, not so fast.

Likely, your saw is 82cc. Seems to be the most common size. At least, I have several spare pistons/barrels in that size, though I stole the rings to use on my 048. I'd beware if your saw has the early Bosch electronic ignition. They don't have a good reputation and like to quit unexpectedly or just not start. Problem is, parts are getting hard to find, especially coils. I'm actually looking for one of those to complete another 045 I have.

Also, this saw is hard on the lower front AV mount at the bottom of the wrap handlebar. Those always seem to be broken.

Chris B.

BTW, if you look at Mike's site and see an 045 Super II or some nonsense like that, there is no such thing. Somebody just stuck a sticker on their saw.

For 045s, you have the 045 and 045 Super. You may see the word 'electronic' on the side of the top cover, but I've only seen this in photos.

For 056s, you have the 056, 056 Super, 056 Mag, and 056 Mag II.

Chris B.

Latest posts

Back