stihl 046 big bore

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramrat

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just got a 046 that is scored . What do you guys think of the big bore kits ? I would like to do just a muffler job and leave it like along for a while. Has any one had good luck with the big bore kits. Our should I just try to clean up the jug and put in new piston and rings. I have the acid so I will clean the jug ,but for the money should I just do the bb kit. I would like to run it for some time before I get it woods ported. Thanks

:biggrin:
vsh0914l.jpg

Big bore kits / after market kits have a love hate relationship around here. The threads about them usually end up with fighting or name calling. I my self put a nwp 044 bb kit on and so far no problems, except that it had a .031 squish with out a base gasket. From what I have read on this site is the "MAGIC" tolerance for squish is .016-.021. If you can clean up your cylinder and reuse it, I would go that route and get a meteor piston with caber rings. With the money you save you can put it towards a port job and see more improvement. If you decide to go with a big bore kit/ after market I would look up a member on here "mastermind" and talk with him. There are other members on here that also sell them but can't remember there screen names. Another thing is remember you get what you pay for. Heard good things about the nwp kits from baileys. That's the reason I went with that one. Hope this helps a little toad22t

Bad day in the tear down/clean up of the saw. found out the rod is also busted and I but a hole in the bottom of the case. Not a good day but I broke down and bought of ebay. Should be up and going again when case and crank shows up next week. Has any one used the big bore kit from northwood? I will get all the other parts from work a stihl dealer.

I just got a 046 that is scored . What do you guys think of the big bore kits ? I would like to do just a muffler job and leave it like along for a while. Has any one had good luck with the big bore kits. Our should I just try to clean up the jug and put in new piston and rings. I have the acid so I will clean the jug ,but for the money should I just do the bb kit. I would like to run it for some time before I get it woods ported. Thanks

If your cylinder is not scored, your cheapest bet is probably to clean it up and stick a new piston in it. Meteor pistons generally have a good reputation. Lots of people insist on using OEM clips, no matter what piston is used.

If you are set on an aftermarket kit, make sure you buy it from someone who will stand behind it if there is an issue. There are several sponsors who fit that bill and some that don't.

If you are going to have it ported, most builders will not port a used aftermarket cylinder.

Contact Mastermind, he can get you fixed up with whatever direction you want to go.

If your cylinder is not scored, your cheapest bet is probably to clean it up and stick a new piston in it. Meteor pistons generally have a good reputation. Lots of people insist on using OEM clips, no matter what piston is used.

If you are set on an aftermarket kit, make sure you buy it from someone who will stand behind it if there is an issue. There are several sponsors who fit that bill and some that don't.

If you are going to have it ported, most builders will not port a used aftermarket cylinder.

Contact Mastermind, he can get you fixed up with whatever direction you want to go.

Randy can provide you with a new Meteor top end and blueprint it for you. You would have a dandy running saw after he finished with it.

If you decide to go after market, Baileys stands behind the products they sell. This is more than you can say for most of those kits on ebay and such.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back