• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Stihl 046 PHO Price Drop!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Taylor

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have decided to put my 046 pho up for sale. Its a very nice saw, never had any issues, never been used professionally, just a weekend wood cutter. Its all OEM. Just bought a smaller saw, no need for one of this size anymore. Asking $475 plus shipping.
Here are a few pics of some old growth fir slabs that i cut last weekend. Saw pulls a 32" like its nobody's business:)stihl saw 1.jpg stihl saw 2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0594.JPG
    IMG_0594.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0597.JPG
    IMG_0597.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0599.JPG
    IMG_0599.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 65
nice pics, Steve, but most folks interested in buying this old saw would like some clean close-up photo's, to include pics down the exhaust of what shape the piston is in, as best indicator of wear on the saw.
Thank you for the heads up, I meant to take/post more pictures either this evening or tomorrow

Looks like a ms460 fuel tank is on it.
I just got off the phone with my dad who originally bought the saw, its an ms460 but it has the 046 top cover. I'll try to find the MS460 cover and put it on there. I believe he purchased new in 2006 or 2007...
also, thanks for catching that!

I just got off the phone with my dad who originally bought the saw, its an ms460 but it has the 046 top cover. I'll try to find the MS460 cover and put it on there. I believe he purchased new in 2006 or 2007...
also, thanks for catching that!

Saw is an 046 with ms460 gas tank. Unless the crankcase has been changed which is doubtful. Ms460 had flippy caps.

Not that it matters anyways. Same saw minus the gas and oil caps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It also has regular oil cap. He had 3 saws at the time i bought this, two were 046 and 1 was ms460, to my original understanding i bought an 046 from him about 6 years ago. So i'll have to find out if the tank was replaced or what. Thats the crappy thing about selling something second hand that you bought from somebody suffering from old age and bad memory, if it is the ms460, its about 10 years old, if not then its either 1999 or 2000. If anybody is at all interested make an offer

It also has regular oil cap. He had 3 saws at the time i bought this, two were 046 and 1 was ms460, to my original understanding i bought an 046 from him about 6 years ago. So i'll have to find out if the tank was replaced or what. Thats the crappy thing about selling something second hand that you bought from somebody suffering from old age and bad memory, if it is the ms460, its about 10 years old, if not then its either 1999 or 2000. If anybody is at all interested make an offer
serial # pm'd to Bsnellings may get the make (046 ,460) and year of mfg.

Serial # is associated with crankcase. Crankcase has regular gas cap therefore it is an 046. Not uncommon for these to have ms460 gas tanks. If they break old style tanks are hard to come by. Top cover is irrelevant.

Serial # is associated with crankcase. Crankcase has regular gas cap therefore it is an 046. Not uncommon for these to have ms460 gas tanks. If they break old style tanks are hard to come by. Top cover is irrelevant.

I was in his garage a while back and i know he has some older gas tanks in there, i wonder if one had a leak or something. I'll find out the serial and get it looked up and then ask the old man some more questions.... sorry to anybody interested, i probably should have had all of this figured out before posting!

No worries Steve. As said above it doesn't really matter it's the same saw. All that really matters is the condition. GLWS.

So that tank was a new oem ms460 tank that was put on after the original got cracked. So it if a 046 with a MS460 tank.

A pic of the piston through the exhaust port and/or a compression reading would sell this very quickly. Long as its all OEM parts.

Latest posts

Back