Stihl 046 questions...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MontanaTed

Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm new here, but have read countless threads on AS before doing research.

I am looking at buying a new/used saw. I cut a fair amount of wood, mostly pine, lodge pole, doug fir, etc. along with the random giant cotton wood. I had a MS361 for a while, but felt it lacked the power I was looking for to truly pull a 25" bar with full skip chain like desired. I am a bit of a power freak, but am also not a very big guy so I like the 441/461 size saws.

I am open to buying a used saw but am cautious on them which brings in my questions regarding an 046 I found used. It has a couple of flags for me, but may be minor issues. It has a new rear cover on it, when questioned the guy said the guys using it had it sitting to close to a slash pile and the cover had some burns in it, Also the handle had a couple of melted spots on the foot plate and the underside of the handle. It started up pretty easily, and ran out strong from what I could tell. I did not cut with it to put it under load.

So I'm wondering at a price of $450.00, is the 046 worth buying and maybe having to replace the handle or replace the piston etc at a later time? Or should I say piss on it and jump into a new model. If so 441 or 461, not a big believer in the M-tronic yet, to me more electronics mean more $$ in repairs.

Thanks for your input.

A 046 is a good choice, all but bullet proof old saw. The saw you describe would have to many little things that I wouldn't like. If there is to much wrong on the handle and ends up needing to be replaced it will take a new fuel tank, they're over a $100, and the old screw cap tanks can be hard to find. If your 361 isn't enough saw I would look hard at a used 044 or440 they will run a 25" bar with great ease, I have 28" bars on all of my 44's. The price seems a little high but with out pictures and such I can't be a good judge. Welcome to AS I think you will enjoy all the inmates.

Thanks for the information. Yeah I just a bit hesitant like you said for the tank/handle ass'y it's not an inexpensive choice.

I have been looking for a used saw for some time but they don't come up in MT all to often and when they do, they are usually well used.

I'll try to to grab the pictures off of Craigslist and post them here, only thing is they don't show the small "melted" locations thanks again.

Any thoughts out there regarding the new saws? MS 441 or MS 461?

If possible a compression test would tell you a lot, otherwise if it seems to run good I would jump on it. A new 461 is $1,000.

I was thinking of having him do a test or seeing if I could have the local guy test it and look it over. If I understand from what I've read it should test out up to 170 right? And if it's lower then 150 might not be so good?

If the compression is low, can it be rebuilt fairly reasonably, my thoughts are even if I have to sink a couple hundred into it to make it scream I'm still ahead but I don't know he in and outs of saws real well yet.
Thanks!

I was thinking of having him do a test or seeing if I could have the local guy test it and look it over. If I understand from what I've read it should test out up to 170 right? And if it's lower then 150 might not be so good?

If the compression is low, can it be rebuilt fairly reasonably, my thoughts are even if I have to sink a couple hundred into it to make it scream I'm still ahead but I don't know he in and outs of saws real well yet.
Thanks!

Well if you are in MT that compression test will read lower due to the altitude, less air density here.

where are you in montana ??
i got a couple of mulies from eastern mt. mounted.....had a small house in terry mt. for awhile...left it go for taxes when obamanomics kicked in..

Around here, $450 is a decent price for a clean, low hour 046 with no issues. If there's more than minor dings to the handle/tank assembly, I'd offer less money or walk away; that assembly can be difficult to find used and will be expensive to replace. The black covering on the handle in the pix would make me nervous. What's it hiding?

After seeing the pics I would say it "looks" as good as any of my 46's. 3/4 wrap bars double falling dogs, good chain catcher, decent looking bar and chain. Maybe that black on operator handle is "Rhino Linear" on the foot pad, look at the bottom of the handle will tell you what you need to know. Offer him a little less can't hurt, if I where in the great falls area I think I'd take a look but I'm to far away to be any good. Good Sunday project go take a look.

That's a clean looking saw for 450. I payed 600 for a used ms 441 a few years back (probs over payed a lil) and it ran amazing for firewood with a 24" bar. Sold it after 2 years, power head only, for 400.

So I think that's not a bad deal at all. Guy who bought it from me had a brand new 461 that was around 1100 when it was all said and done. He let me run it and I must say I really like it. Was very smooth and had a lil more power than the 441.

I think your biggest deciding factor should be how you feel financially speaking. If dropping 900 plus is gonna break the bank, than the 046 is probably the better choice. Good luck!

I looked at the saw yesterday, started it up ran it a bit. Didn't have anything wood to try to work it but it sounded good.

The black on the handle is grip tape. If you look on the under side of the saw you can see where embers must have landed on it. It's almost like whoever had it was burning a slash pile and set it down on a hot spot or a pile fell on it.

Over all it looks good. The bar was stamped Oregon HD. And it was painted gray. It looked as though it was a little rough before paint, but I have a basically new 25" bar sitting in my garage from the MS361 I sold.

I appreciate your guy's input. I'm still learning on saws, construction and remodeling is my expertise.

Around here, $450 is a decent price for a clean, low hour 046 with no issues. If there's more than minor dings to the handle/tank assembly, I'd offer less money or walk away; that assembly can be difficult to find used and will be expensive to replace. The black covering on the handle in the pix would make me nervous. What's it hiding?
It is actually grip tape cover a couple small burns.

If you don't need a full-wrap handle, you can buy an aftermarket replacement for less than $30. Cosmetically the saw looks very good except for that handle. Consider an offer of $420 to cover the replacement cost.

To make a dirt-cheap compression test, pull the saw once or twice with the decomp valve up and then once with it down. You should notice a big difference. I can barely turn my 046 over with the decomp valve down, even though I may be a weakling compared to most loggers.

Saw looks very clean except for the damage, it may be a low hour saw (= a good buy). Test the compression by lifting the saw up, hold the recoil start cord, and let the saw drop. It should thump slowly through the compression cycles. My 044 almost stops before the 3rd thump.

If that saw has good compression, I think I would grab it, unless you would prefer something a little lighter. The 044/440s are more common, run strong, and will weigh a little less.

That said, if the compression is good, and the damage to the handle/tank holder is only cosmetic (not structural), I think I would grab that saw.

The 044/440 and 046/460 s are some of the best power to weight saws out there. Add a dual port muff cover and HD-2 filter, richen the tune a little, and you will have a strong running saw.

Back