Stihl 050av MORE problems!!!! HEEEELP!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sn0wy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
going to cut a long story short here, I have been off an on again fully rebuilding a Stihl 050av, its been a on going project for over 10months now and I still haven't got the dam thing running right!!!

Basically as it stands at the moment the saw runs and idles fine, infact it starts first time everytime with no problems.

The problem
I simply cannot tune the saw at all!!!.. I have reset the carb mixtures to zero, tuned L screw so the saw idles. This part is ok. As soon as I touch the H screw, even the tiniest adjustment the saw dies and stalls!!!!. NOW i have just bought a HS-60D carb for the saw to see if the orginal carb I rebuilt is the problem, nope its not. The new HS-60d carb does the same thing!. I just dont get it. The only thing I see the problem is maybe there is an airleak some place but I checked the carb for leaks an it hold pressure. The crankcase seems to hold pressure too!....ARRGGGG so frustrating!

I just don't know where the problem is! could it be the exhaust clogged?, could it be the original carb flange cracked?
could it be the original decomp valve leaking?

I have replaced the following

ALL rubber seals replaced in everything
new pistons and rings
new cylinder
new coil - with electronic ignition (condenser has been removed and points taken out)
new oil pump rubber seal
new worm gear drive
new clutch and all parts
new gaskets replaced in everything
new fuel lines and rubber hoses.
new filters/fuel and air
New HS-60D carb
Rebuilt orginial carb new parts for back up

Things NOT replaced

Original Exhaust muffler
Original decomp valve
Original oil pump
Carb flange

any expert help would be great!

"new coil - with electronic ignition (condenser has been removed and points taken out)"

Have you also put the correct flywheel on it seeing as I'm willing to bet that they are 2 different flywheels, points vs. elec?

"new coil - with electronic ignition (condenser has been removed and points taken out)"

Have you also put the correct flywheel on it seeing as I'm willing to bet that they are 2 different flywheels, points vs. elec?
You are correct, there are 3 flywheels for this saw, points fly, ring starter fly and the new starter flywheel, he will need a new starter as the ring type is obsolete!
Have you checked the decompression valve isn't leaking? I bought a decompression valve from stihl and it leaked, fitted the screw back in and problem solved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Either a bad air leak that won't allow low to high speed transition or I highly suspect out of time. Reverse the leads on the module and if that doesn't work remove the flywheel key and advance the timing several degrees.

Attachments

• 1395596086257.jpg
    1395596086257.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 23
Thanks guys for your replies!...does any one have the part number for the new starter flywheel?

an also where would be the best place to purchase a new decomp valve? stihl?

Your dealer should have all the information there on mediacat and be able to order the parts

The 051 was still made in Mexico a few years ago and in Brazil. Remember this guy has an 050 his best bet is to find a donor for his ignition woes.

The 051 was still made in Mexico a few years ago and in Brazil. Remember this guy has an 050 his best bet is to find a donor for his ignition woes.
Check the stihl Peru site, 051, 076 and 070 are all current production, and like I said, all of the newer model part are still available here, all bar silly little things, which are not sold here due to lack of demand, but those parts are still available from germany

My 051 IPL dates from August 1977..............It lists 051 flywheel ,# 1111 404 1202, flywheel 050,# 1111 400 1200.... 051 carb HS 60 B.
I have a dead 050/051 ? in the shed!............let me know if i can help.

That's the post points one that has the FM starter, it's the same as mine, the starter ring inside is NLA though

FM Starter? I gather this is the very first or old type? what actually is that?

and also will the flywheel 1111 404 1202 work for the new coil type I have with electronic module built in.

also does anyone have a pic of what a new start flywheel looks like?

is it this one I need?
syunb8.jpg

part number 1111 404 1204

Scallywag has pretty much summed it up, the one in the picture is the new type, with the starter pawl, the previous type is the one that would fit your starter assembly, but parts are harder to obtain

ok so I would have to buy this flywheel and then change my starter assembly? is this conversion interchangeable?

Back