Stihl 056 AV Magnum II new chain will not fit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnuh330

Reaction score
I have a Stihl 056 AV Magnum II with 24" Rollomatic E bar (3003 000 8830) it calls for a 3/8 pitch .050 gauge chain loop 84 links long. I ordered a new Forester chain off Amazon with those specs, for the price it wasn't even worth considering the time it would take to sharpen the old chain. I took the old chain off and now I can't get the new one on. I counted the drive links on the old chain, it is 85 links. Do I need to just order another chain loop with 85 links or is there some trick I'm missing? I had the bar adjusted all the way back as close to the drive sprocket as I could and the chain refused to go on.

Ozhoo, you're right it's got 8t sprocket.

Mad Professor, the bar afaik is original. chain specs were all pulled from the markings on the bar. 3/8 pitch 1.3mm gauge (so .050") 84 dl. Old chain is a stihl with same measurements (checked with calipers before posting) just one link longer.

So now what are my options? Changing the sprocket is a little more than I wanna get into, and I can't find any chains with 85 drive links even on the stihl website. The old chain is pretty much shot maybe one more sharpening left but I doubt it.

I seem to remember that being a common Stihl issue with the 8 tooth sprocket. They sold 84 and 85DL premade chain loops for that reason. Get the longer loop or smaller sprocket, whatever gets you going. The 056 Mag II came with an 8T standard, as I recall.

Your chain doesn't have to be Stihl brand.

Chris B.

L34,
Unfortunately the sprocket is behind the clutch and I have no idea how to go about removing the clutch to get at the sprocket. I think that might work but I gotta do some reading. Might be easier to just get another chain. Having trouble finding a chain with 85 drive links though all that comes up is 84. Even listings on stihl website only showing 84.

I forgot about it just being too short.

A good dealer should be able to add a link to your chain, or make a loop from a roll of 0.050 3/8. Try to find a dealer that caters to loggers as they usually have the best service and stock rolls of quality chain.

L34,
Unfortunately the sprocket is behind the clutch and I have no idea how to go about removing the clutch to get at the sprocket. I think that might work but I gotta do some reading. Might be easier to just get another chain. Having trouble finding a chain with 85 drive links though all that comes up is 84. Even listings on stihl website only showing 84.
Yep ok ,was thinking of a rim sprocket.
Cheers,Chris.

If you do plenty of cutting why not buy a roll of chain. I usually keep 500' on hand in my popular types. It is very easy to add a link if you have a roll because rolls usually come with a hand full of splicing links. For sure you can buy just 50' or maybe 25'. Yes you could run a smaller sprocket which would slow down your chain speed, but only if that is your goal. Thanks

If there is still enough slot space left at the studs I often grind a little off the very back end off the chain bar to make a chain fit. It usually only needs 1/8" removed on a bench grinder to get a one link short chain on and it hurts nothing to remove a small amount off the bar at that point.

You could also run the combo in for a few minutes on another chainsaw model if you have access to one... chain will stretch a little the first time it's used.

I forgot about it just being too short.

A good dealer should be able to add a link to your chain, or make a loop from a roll of 0.050 3/8. Try to find a dealer that caters to loggers as they usually have the best service and stock rolls of quality chain.
This is the best answer.

I have a Stihl 056 AV Magnum II with 24" Rollomatic E bar (3003 000 8830) it calls for a 3/8 pitch .050 gauge chain loop 84 links long. I ordered a new Forester chain off Amazon with those specs, for the price it wasn't even worth considering the time it would take to sharpen the old chain. I took the old chain off and now I can't get the new one on. I counted the drive links on the old chain, it is 85 links. Do I need to just order another chain loop with 85 links or is there some trick I'm missing? I had the bar adjusted all the way back as close to the drive sprocket as I could and the chain refused to go on.

Best bet is to go buy yourself a new saw and send that old dinosaur down the road....I'll send you my shipping address, and I'll even pay for shipping...I'm in a generous mood...

Back