Stihl 056 Magnum Ii Rough Idle-bogs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William Balaska

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
THANKS FOR EVERYONES HELP WITH IDENITIFYING MY NEWLY AQUIRED STIHL 056 MAGNUM II (WHICH IT IS). AFTER RUNNING ABOUT A HALF DOZEN TANKS OF FRESH FUEL THROUGH IT AND ATTEMPTING TO DIAL IT IN I REALIZE THAT WITHOUT DOING SOME WORK TO IT IT'S NOT GOING TO GET BETTER. THE ONLY TIME IT SEEMS TO HAVE FAIR COMPRESSION IS WHEN COLD, BUT AFTER SEVERAL CUTS IT DOESEN'T WANT TO IDLE AND WILL BOG AND STALL ON ACCELERATION (THE FIRST FEW MINUTES SEEM FINE) WHEN IT'S WARMED UP IT SEEMS TO PULL OK MIDRANGE AND TOPEND. I PULLED THE TOPEND AND EVERYTHING LOOKS NICE NO SCORING OR SCUFFING ANYWHERE, IS IT REAS0NABLE TO ONLY RERING THE ENGINE? IT APPEARS AS IF WAS MORE OF A HOMEOWNER SAW THAN USED COMERCIALLY, HOWEVER IT DEFINITLY HAS SOME HOURS ON IT, TWO OF THE AV BUSINGS NEED TO BE REPLACED AND THE SAW SHOWS IT'S YEARS OF WEAR OTHERWISE PRETTY CLEAN FOR IT'S AGE. THERE ARE NO ISSUES WITH THE IGNITION (NOT SURE IF IT'S BOSCH OR SEM). MY MAIN CONCERNS ARE IS IT ACCEPTABLE TO RERING THE ORIGINAL PISTON FIRST AND THE BORE APPEARS TO BE CHROME, I'M ASSUMING YOU DON'T DO ANYTHING TO THEM IF I'M CORRECT. I DID GO THROUGH THE CARB PRIOR TO PULLING IT APART AND IT WAS NOT THE PROBLEM. THANKS FOR ANY INPUT.
BILL:cheers:

Before you even put rings on it, what is the compression?

What is the piston skirt meaurement verses just above the pin? A badly worn skirt can lead to a poor idle.

If the piston is in decent shape and your compression is less than say 140, put new rings in it. They won't solve your idle/accel/bog problem though..

Have you done a pressure test?

Last edited:
I Have Not Vacum Tested It My Compression Is Mid 120's When Hot, Can You Give Me The Skirt Measurements So I Can Measure It? The Piston Looks Really Nice Including The Skirt, It Might Be Backwards But I Can Replace Piston/rings And Check The Vacum(i Need To Buy The Gauge) Cylinder Looks Immaculate. Thanks Again
Bill

I Have Not Vacum Tested It My Compression Is Mid 120's When Hot, Can You Give Me The Skirt Measurements So I Can Measure It? The Piston Looks Really Nice Including The Skirt, It Might Be Backwards But I Can Replace Piston/rings And Check The Vacum(i Need To Buy The Gauge) Cylinder Looks Immaculate. Thanks Again
Bill

You can leave piston/rings out to check vacuum/pres, just bolt cyl back on with a gasket, wrap a rag on the rod to keep it from contacting the cyl walls. Then you need to block off carb/intake and exhaust. You can apply vac/pres through impulse line.

There was a nice post here about a homemade tester a while back, you might try a search.

Sorry About The Pictures Still Trying To Figyre Out A Few Things On This New Dell, I'll Get Them Up Soon. I Don't Have The Shop Manual But Luckily I'm A Mile From A Stihl Dealer. I Ordered New Rings Today, Base Gasket, And Both Oil Seals If Need Be, And A Tillotson Carb Kit Just To Be On The Safe Side. After Viewing Lakesides Recent Rebuild I Realize The Seals Could Be Comprimised. I'm Going To Have The Dealer Do The Seals For Me (i Don't Have The Tools To Pull The Seals And Correct Flywheel Puller) I'd Rather Do It Right Once. I Bought This Saw To Do Some Milling (as A Hobby) I Have An 070 But This Saw Is Alot Easier To Manage. I Actually Purchased It As A Result Of The Site Here, Plus I Have An Interest In Vintage Stuff, Despite Not Being Quite Vintage Yet. I Believe This Should Freshen Up The Saw Up And Make It Reliabe.(found My Photo Error I Have To Use Less Kb's) It Exceeds The Limit. I'll Get My Photos Up Soon. Thanks Again
Bill

The Dealer Today Told Me The Cylinder Base Gasket Is Nla But All Other Parts Including The Oil Gaskets Are Any Thoughts?
Bill

The Dealer Today Told Me The Cylinder Base Gasket Is Nla But All Other Parts Including The Oil Gaskets Are Any Thoughts?
Bill

Yes, the base gaskets are no long available, but dead easy to make. Check cheapstihlsawparts - he likely has some. There should be some aftermarket around.

Thanks. The good news was my dealer was able to locate the base gasket today, and the rest of the parts should be here on friday. He's going to pressure test it for me and do the seals next week (if needed). I'm going to start cleaning up the rest of it to get it ready to put back together. Here are a couple of shots of my 070. Something I love about the look of this saw.
Bill

Thanks. The good news was my dealer was able to locate the base gasket today, and the rest of the parts should be here on friday. He's going to pressure test it for me and do the seals next week (if needed). I'm going to start cleaning up the rest of it to get it ready to put back together. Here are a couple of shots of my 070. Something I love about the look of this saw.
Bill

NICE!!! A perfect candidate for a 66mm topend and a six shoe clutch.

Last edited:
member...

Anybody heard from Jeff??? fishhuntcutwood??? He's been mia for quite a while... The 56MagII reminded me of him and I got to wonderin'...

:popcorn: :confused:

Back