Stihl 056

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ldurmon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just picked up an 056AV and it looks as if the tag may have read Magnum at one time. Is there a way to tell if it is magnum or not without tearing it down. Where is the serial number? It has the SEM ignition that needs replacing. I plan on using it for milling. Thanks in advance.

What I thought but don't want to tear it down right now. Maybe I can take the muffler off and measure it through the exhaust port. Thanks

Measure the bore with solder. But generally you can tell by the parts on it. Is there a exhaust deflector over the rear port? Is it a quick stop saw? Does it have the SEM specific to the magnum? (its different from the Super. has a 1 piece flywheel) Does it have the magnum style dual port muffler? Does it have a half moon molded into the top cover over the kill switch?

Dual port muffler, 56mm bore, one piece flywheel, no half moon and no deflector. Looks possible it is a mag.

The magnum dual port muffler is different from the rest of them. Let me find a pic..

If your bore measurement is good then you got a winner. Its easy to measure wrong when you're only talking about a 2mm difference. I have a early magnum and it only had the correct muffler, quick stock remnants, and magnum style ignition. The magnum 2 had everything I mentioned before.

Thanks for the great reference pics!! Its definitely a Magnum. Cylinder looks like the one on the left. Same muffler. Now I have a lot of work ahead of me. I understand that the SEM ignition off a husky 2100 works on these. Just need that and a couple circlips for the carb and I'm in business. Will post pics when she is back together with a 36" bar.

You can use the super style sem or Bosch ignitions. Just need the proper flywheel to go with them. The 041s used the same sem ignition as well

Looks like a magnum 2. Definitely a late model top cover and flag. Is there two screw holes on the right where the exhaust exits? That’s where the deflector would have been.
3628006E-1C13-43E5-828E-E1B84DB709C3.png

Not bad for $275 on fleabay. Seller didn't know what he had. Sold for parts not running due to the ignition. Great compression. The bar side cover is cracked because it was put on tight with no bar and the clutch rubbed/ cracked it. Going to work it a bit then restore when my milling is done. You guys are awesome:happybanana::blob2::chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back