Stihl 064 air filter Need to know which one Pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah thats the basic air filter set up for an 064. Same set up on mine that I'm trying to get rid of. Its a tight squeeze in the shroud. But it will fit in there.

It appears your carb may be slightly different than mine thus the metal gasket you have mounted on the face of your carb. My carburetor is a Walbro stamped Stihl on the top. I don't know if I am missing a metal or other gasket for mounting the air filter support to the carb. I do have questions. Are you having issues with contamination in the carb compartment? Do you know if you have to change the carb box to install a HD filter system? Any idea what year your saw is? You provided great pictures so I thank you Sir.

Last edited:
To answer about changing the whole carb box for the HD set up? I dont honestly know. I will find out after the first, thats when I am picking up the set up. I could take some more photos and post them for you. An easy way to eliminate the old style filter set up without changing the carb box is putting a velocity stack on it. Tomorrow I am spending the morning at the local saw shop trying different set ups running the green weenie. The carb on my 064 is a Walbro, flat top. I cant be exact on the year the saw was produced. I can tell you it was in the mid to late 90's. When the Florence Saw Shop area code was 503 like the whole Oregon state.

The picture of the air filter base the OP posted is slightly different to that of mile9scounty's filter base. They appear to share the same part number though, which is not uncommon. My literature has no reference to those part numbers.
However, often the part number shown on parts does not always match that shown in IPLs/part number identification lists etc. This is often due to items not being able to be oredered as separate parts but actually having separate part numbers.
The oldest filter base I have reference to is the 1122 120 1620
up to X 18 760 749 (34.1988). Acres site puts the 064 coming out in 1986. There is one of those on Chainsawr now;
Chainsawr Stihl Chainsaw Air Filter Base 1122 120 1620 NEW

EDIT;
I wouldn't mind betting 1122 124 3400 won't be found on any IPLs. Most likely it would be under the number 1122 120 3400, there is a reference (of this number) to TI 27.1987 so perhaps that is when it stopped being used...

Last edited:
When I get home I will try to take a few pics of my Non-HD 064 air filter.

I think back plate in almondgt pictures is the early type.
And from what I know it lets non-filted air come in from carb box.

Then Stihl changed the back plate to #10 as shown in mtngun picture.
#10 back plate is what I have on one of my 064's orther have HD set-up.

TT

If you have time please provide the pictures of your NON HD carb to air filter setup. I am at a standstill with my saw. The air filtration system on my saw doesn't make sense. It appears I am missing a support and a flat plate baffle that mount to the carb like the picture mile9socounty provided of his carb.

Have you thought about running a velocity stack/green weenie on it?

No, not really. I would prefer to keep the saw stock. The air filtration system must have been functional enough by Stihls standards in the day. I need to solve the puzzle. No luck getting it right so far. I wonder if there should also be a fibre/fiber gasket on the carb to carb support assembly? The right IPL or someone with an original untouched 064 air filter system coming forth would sure help.

It appears I am missing a support and a flat plate baffle that mount to the carb like the picture mile9socounty provided of his carb.

You may not be missing anything. Yours and mile9scounty's filter bases are not the same. If you were to have the metal baffle I don't see how your filter base would sit flush to the carb anyway, due to those three "barbs" (shown in the first picture in this thread).
Besides normally a baffle like that with a lipped edge is supposed to increase the surface area of a seal. The one pictured only has three lipped edges?? Seeing as the carb is "open" to the air behind the carb I don't see the point of it anyway (for either of the above shown set ups)?

You may not be missing anything. Yours and mile9scounty's filter bases are not the same. If you were to have the metal baffle I don't see how your filter base would sit flush to the carb anyway, due to those three "barbs" (shown in the first picture in this thread).
Besides normally a baffle like that with a lipped edge is supposed to increase the surface area of a seal. The one pictured only has three lipped edges?? Seeing as the carb is "open" to the air behind the carb I don't see the point of it anyway (for either of the above shown set ups)?

Your comments make a great deal of sense. My air filter base is not original to the saw as I acquired it off the Bay assuming it was the right part for me. The base seems to fit nicely. All I had when I received the saw initially was as pictured earlier, carb mounted and the wrong air filter. Where is that early 064 ipl I am begging for?

Tell you what. Wait until after the 1st of June, after I purchase my HD set up. I will give you my old set up for free. Carb box, air filter, backing plate.

Well I just repped ya on the post with all the pics,,,, I wish I could rep ya for this one too!!!! Good On Ya!!!

Just checked my IPL it is the same as mtngun's,,,, sorry no help here

Last edited:
Back