Stihl MS250.. cleaning and clunking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I joke around here, so what?

Do I need a lawyer? Are you going to start a lawsuit?

And I said "I realise you like to have a joke and that is fine with me".
Putting words into my mouth again.
Like I said, I think you are trying to cause trouble.

That one that holds the oil line on, that one should be a real problem. The ones holding the chain brake parts. The ones holding the AV mounts especially, those should really work loose!!!!

Do they???? How do you "repair" those when they do??????

They get a hell of a lot more abuse than does a "non-moving" part!!!!

Harley, I suggested to the OP that he or she checks the gap on the coil and to take care when tightening the bolts.
A suggestion by me that I suspected that the bolts with no washers might have come slightly loose and you seem to think that is some "crazy theory" to which you felt the need to come out all guns blazing. Spring washers exist for a reason and that reason is to stop bolts coming loose in a vibration situation. It's not rocket science nor is it a crazy theory. Shrinking casing does take quite a bigger leap of faith, I would have thought, than no washers; but I didnt sneer at you for suggesting it...that's basic respect and it works both ways; you should try it.

Fact is, you never suggested that the OP look at the coil until I came along, and my guess is you just can't stand it when other people you deem to have inferior or lesser knowledge than you, have an opinion. This isn't your forum, it doesnt belong to you from what I can tell and you don't get to bully people by twisting what they have said to suit your agenda to dispose of those you see as competition by trying to humiliate them on false grounds.
Although in my case you were incorrect, there is a reason why you recently said "he must have me blocked, or on ignore, like most of the guys here." Perhaps you need to reflect on why that may be and do something about it, because from where I am sitting, it's clear to me why that happens.

I posted here to suggest the coil to the OP and I think that is a reasonable suggestion given the video.
I came to help them, not to have a stupid argument with someone who seems to be out to cause trouble.
You are aware that I'm recovering from recent heart surgery and I am not well enough to have distressing internet arguments with people who seem to
have a need for the 'sport' of nastiness. Now get off my case.

I will take a look but it is definitely possible the the coil is hitting the flywheel. I loosened and adjusted the cool after digging out some of the crud that was there. It was snugged back up with a business card spacing and if the flywheel does not rotate completely round that may be hitting. Stay tuned...

Turns out the flywheel was hitting the coil... loosened up the coil, readjust and tighten. Now that it not "clunk" every time the flywheel rotates and hit the coil.

I will finish cleaning it up then see if she runs.

Turns out the flywheel was hitting the coil... loosened up the coil, readjust and tighten. Now that it not "clunk" every time the flywheel rotates and hit the coil.

I will finish cleaning it up then see if she runs.

Good to hear you got it fixed; it looked in the video just like what my saw was doing.

Good to hear you got it fixed; it looked in the video just like what my saw was doing.
I have also seen ad bearing or bearings that are getting ready to let go create a problem we're the flywheel moves to much....

You did adjust the coil with the card with the magnets on the flywheel lined up to the coil right?

I have also seen ad bearing or bearings that are getting ready to let go create a problem we're the flywheel moves to much....

I agree.
I stripped my engine right down and got a couple of mechanics to give me their opinion on the bearings to see if they had caused the flywheel to go out of true. Turned out that
it wasn't the bearings in my case, but it could have been.
As the only people who had ever gone in to adjust the coil had been Stihl techs, it's possible that they either over-tightened the coil bolts or slightly under-tightened them. Under-tightened bolts could, without spring washers, give way a little more causing the coil to move. And if it was them that stripped the casing threads then they certainly wouldn't have been done up tightly enough.

In this case it sounds like the op just needed to re-adjust the coil after cleaning rather than a long term issue.

This time I made sure to have the magnet side to the coil and no rubbing.
Besides the contact from the coil. It does look and sound like that saw has great compression.

Latest posts

Back