Stihl 064...What's it worth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I came across a stihl 064 today.Been looking for a milling saw and think the 064 may fit the bill.The saw is in really good shape with good compression.I pulled the muffler and all is good in the P/C.The cylinder is nice and shiny with no score marks.It has a 36" Stihl bar with good chain.Problem is the guy wouldn't give me a price and just told me to make an offer.I was thinking maybe $400 or am I low balling it?

An 064 in "really good" shape with a 36" bar is definitely worth more than $400. At least, there's a long line of people out there willing to pay more than $400.

For a milling saw, it'd be okay, but not the best saw for the job. First off, it's older, and if you're going to subject it to milling, you need to through it and replace all the rubber bits and make sure everything is in tip top shape. So, even if you get it for $400, you're still talking another $100-250 for carb kit, seals, lines, etc. I think Four Paws idea about selling it at a profit to someone who's looking for one of these legendary saws and buying a 395 would be a good way to go. A 395 is 10ccs bigger, has considerably more torque, and is a current model with good parts support. Also, they're not crazy expensive.

An 064 in "really good" shape with a 36" bar is definitely worth more than $400. At least, there's a long line of people out there willing to pay more than $400.

For a milling saw, it'd be okay, but not the best saw for the job. First off, it's older, and if you're going to subject it to milling, you need to through it and replace all the rubber bits and make sure everything is in tip top shape. So, even if you get it for $400, you're still talking another $100-250 for carb kit, seals, lines, etc. I think Four Paws idea about selling it at a profit to someone who's looking for one of these legendary saws and buying a 395 would be a good way to go. A 395 is 10ccs bigger, has considerably more torque, and is a current model with good parts support. Also, they're not crazy expensive.
Or A 660 Stihl, they're up to the job and readily available.

$400 to $500 is about right for a 64 in good shape. Bear in mind a 64 doesn't have a decomp valve and can be a bear to start unless you have gorilla arms . 064 is a little light for milling if your planning to use that 36 inch bar, I'd go for a bigger saw if your going to push a big bar on a mill.

Thanks for the input.I have decided to save a little extra and go for a newer saw for my milling work.I have a Husqvarna 372 and don't see much need in having another saw with a couple of extra CC'S so I'm gonna save up and go for the big boy.Either a Husqvarna 394/395 or a Stihl ms660.

$400 to $500 is about right for a 64 in good shape. Bear in mind a 64 doesn't have a decomp valve and can be a bear to start unless you have gorilla arms . 064 is a little light for milling if your planning to use that 36 inch bar, I'd go for a bigger saw if your going to push a big bar on a mill.
I've run into this with the "new" one I bought for $500. The original owner babied it for about 20 years cutting firewood with a 20" bar and it has as much compression as the day he bought it. It takes all I've got to crank it, but when it starts, it's a beast and likely will outcut my MS 660 Mag. I may have to enroll in a weight-training class. Or, I could install an Elastostart handle, but my fellow sawyers have managed to tear those apart on their big saws.

One of my friends is a burly sawyer and he can drop start it cold. After he did last week, he said, "Edwin, don't you dare sell this saw. It's a keeper."

I don't think any 1122 is hard to start even with 225-235 lbs of compression. 064 has the smaller bearings and end. I wouldn't use one for milling when you can buy a 394/5 in decent shape used for $4-500
Your biceps are thus very strong, and so is your grip. Impressive. Quite similar I suppose to Andy's:

He's the guy that drop started my "new" 064 cold in three pulls. BTW, I've never found a running Husky 394 in good condition for less than $500.

Your biceps are thus very strong, and so is your grip. Impressive. Quite similar I suppose to Andy's:

He's the guy that drop started my "new" 064 cold in three pulls. BTW, I've never found a running Husky 394 in good condition for less than $500.
I never even knew there was another way to start a saw until I got on these forums. Most of the old home lites had broken throttle locks so it was drop start with one hand on the trigger. I drop start the 088/84 I've had.

I've sold a half dozen running 394/5 some ported for $350-500.

Drop start is the only way I can get my 064 running. Did the same with the 088 and 056 mag 2. I'm not very strong, never have been. I set the brake, set the choke, pull handle in my left hand, throw the saw down with my right and pull up with the left for all I'm worth, and it works. I love the feel of all the 0_4 series saws, even the underpowered 024 with the front chain adjusting screw. They are built just right for me. If I were milling though, I'd get an old 076 or some big Husqvarna saw to tear up. Or better yet, a bandsaw mill.

There is one Husqvarna saw that OP (Ironman) or teacherman would both probably hate to drop start: the Husqvarna 2100 cd). I restored one of these gorillas this past week. It had no spark and needed a new ignition coil that I installed. I could then hardly turn it over but the owner's son (6-4, 270 Lb) was able to start and run it. Then I was finally able to diagnose and fix all the chain oiling problems and tune up the carb. The oil pump was set to maximum and was throwing oil everywhere.

I have never worked on a saw with this much compression, not even my Stihl 064 that I sold. I thought the 2100 cd engine might have had bent parts and needed a complete rebuild. Instead, it just needed an operator as strong as Dwayne Johnson (the Rock). The owner understood, paid me for my work, and left with a grin.

There is one Husqvarna saw that OP (Ironman) or teacherman would both probably hate to drop start: the Husqvarna 2100 cd). I restored one of these gorillas this past week. It had no spark and needed a new ignition coil that I installed. I could then hardly turn it over but the owner's son (6-4, 270 Lb) was able to start and run it. Then I was finally able to diagnose and fix all the chain oiling problems and tune up the carb. The oil pump was set to maximum and was throwing oil everywhere.

I have never worked on a saw with this much compression, not even my Stihl 064 that I sold. I thought the 2100 cd engine might have had bent parts and needed a complete rebuild. Instead, it just needed an operator as strong as Dwayne Johnson (the Rock). The owner understood, paid me for my work, and left with a grin.

I had a 2101XP that I bought cheap because they said it was locked up. I squirted some mix in the spark plug hole and it cranked right up. Probably should have my butt kicked for selling it. I told the guy that rents my land I would give it to him if he could start it. Think he pulled it maybe a foot. I think I made about $400 on it, but would rather have it back.

I had a 2101XP that I bought cheap because they said it was locked up. I squirted some mix in the spark plug hole and it cranked right up. Probably should have my butt kicked for selling it. I told the guy that rents my land I would give it to him if he could start it. Think he pulled it maybe a foot. I think I made about $400 on it, but would rather have it back.
I also tried squirting some fuel into the spark plug hole. That's an old trick in order to see if it will fire, even if the carb won't deliver any fuel, one way or the other, to to the combustion chamber. I still could not get past the unbelievably high compression. But, Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) was successful and it started after sitting on a shelf for several years. Even after running for awhile, I still could not pull the dang thing over. Saw engines like this one caused the invention of decompression valves.

I also tried squirting some fuel into the spark plug hole. That's an old trick in order to see if it will fire, even if the carb won't deliver any fuel, one way or the other, to to the combustion chamber. I still could not get past the unbelievably high compression. But, Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) was successful and it started after sitting on a shelf for several years. Even after running for awhile, I still could not pull the dang thing over. Saw engines like this one caused the invention of decompression valves.
Yeah, I have been through a bunch of saws. That is the only one that is likely irreplaceable.

Several years ago I gave $375 for my 064 with a 28" Oregon bar and .404 chain. Its sitting in my shop now needing a new top end. When it started having problems, I bought a G660 power head for $321. The G660 is still running strong so I haven't had much motivation to get the 064 back up and running.

Latest posts

Back