Stihl 064

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tian

ArboristSite Lurker
Hi all,

Bit of a chainsaw noob at the moment. I bought a Stihl 064 second hand and I'm looking to replace the bar on it for the purposes of setting up an Alaskan mill (it had a bent 25" on it - I am planning to put a 30"). I'm looking at two different 30" Stihl bars on the FR Jones site and there's a Stihl 3/8" .063 Rollomatic ES chainsaw bar and Stihl .404 .063 Rollomatic ES chainsaw bar one fits an MS 880 and the other fits an MS 660 and 661. This thread has answered my question and it looks like it's the 3/8" one I want. I was just curios what the two numbers relate to in terms of the bar / chain / drive links etc.

Thanks

wombler

wombler

ArboristSite Member
Tian, the one that fits the MS880 won't fit your 064, so that answers that question. As far as the numbers go, 3/8" vs .404 is the size of the drive links -- bigger is stronger, but also needs more power to be pulled, while .063 is the width of the drive links, which matches to the width of the groove around the bar that the drive links slide in on their travels around and around.

Tian

ArboristSite Lurker
Great, thank you both for your insights. A lot of learning to be done at the start (and I'm sure there will still be lots years on!)