Stihl 064av rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up 4 saws today all from the same guy. His tree service went out of business in 2010. A 046 mag, a 066 mag, a 087 mag, and a 200t. None have been ran in 10 years. Should I pull jugs off and inspect? Maybe squirt oil down into the bearings? Or just gas and try to fire? I’m new to this and would hate to cause unnecessary damage.

If they pull over smoothly and have good compression, I'd pull the muffler to see what P/C looks like.

If the P/C looks healthy, clean them up , put in some fresh mix and see if they run.

They may run fine, or need sinence
I picked up 4 saws today all from the same guy. His tree service went out of business in 2010. A 046 mag, a 066 mag, a 087 mag, and a 200t. None have been ran in 10 years. Should I pull jugs off and inspect? Maybe squirt oil down into the bearings? Or just gas and try to fire? I’m new to this and would hate to cause unnecessary damage.

First see if they turn over smoothly and have decent compression, then I'd pull the mufflers and inspect the P/C. If P/C looks bad you may want to pull clutch/flywheel before taking off P/C. As you get parts off clean things up to avoid dropping filth into the case if/when you pull P/C.

If all looks good there clean things up, look over: filters, hoses, intake boot. Clean out what was left in gas and oil tanks, put in some fresh mix/oil. Put a little mix in the plug hole and turn it a few times in case things have dried out inside, then try to fire it up.

You may get lucky and have a bunch of runners with little work. If they won't start, and/or have other problems go from there.

Regardless if they run or not, do a good cleaning, pull flywheel and clutch. Old saws can have a lot of gunk hiding there.

Bought my 064 in about the exact shape yours is in. Now it has a ported 066 jug and slug:happybanana:

Attachments

• IMG_20190705_150009.jpg
    IMG_20190705_150009.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 10
If they pull over smoothly and have good compression, I'd pull the muffler to see what P/C looks like.

If the P/C looks healthy, clean them up , put in some fresh mix and see if they run.

They may run fine, or need sinence

First see if they turn over smoothly and have decent compression, then I'd pull the mufflers and inspect the P/C. If P/C looks bad you may want to pull clutch/flywheel before taking off P/C. As you get parts off clean things up to avoid dropping filth into the case if/when you pull P/C.

If all looks good there clean things up, look over: filters, hoses, intake boot. Clean out what was left in gas and oil tanks, put in some fresh mix/oil. Put a little mix in the plug hole and turn it a few times in case things have dried out inside, then try to fire it up.

You may get lucky and have a bunch of runners with little work. If they won't start, and/or have other problems go from there.

Regardless if they run or not, do a good cleaning, pull flywheel and clutch. Old saws can have a lot of gunk hiding there.

Thank you, I’m anxious to see if they run but I’ll go ahead and do the work first. I’m scared to try and start the 088 lol

I’d also check pistons and then put some gas in them. Maybe put a splash in the plug hole to get some mix in the chamber and roll it over a few times. Did the guy say they ran when shelved?

I’d also check pistons and then put some gas in them. Maybe put a splash in the plug hole to get some mix in the chamber and roll it over a few times. Did the guy say they ran when shelved?

yes he said they all ran but the 200t. It has a starter pawl problem that won’t engage. He thought it ran right up to the point that the starter quit working.

Recoil might just be full of sawdust on the 200T.

What did you pay for the saws? Maybe a post in the YOU SUCK!!! thread is warranted.

I really don’t wNt to say because no one will believe me. Let’s just say I was delivering in another city and noticed them on “letgo”. I didn’t have but $25 in me. I got a hold of the guy and went to an atm and pulled out $400 because that’s all my card will let me get. When I was leaving with the 4 saws I still had cash a big freakin smile on my face. I do suck, I’ll never get a deal like that again.

YOU SUCK!!!
$300.....for an 088 066 046 and 200t. They don’t look the best but they definitely don’t look the worst. The 200t looks the worst. The 088 looks the best. He just want them gone. With a 41”, 28”, and 24” rollo es bars all in decent shape. Still have a lot of paint on them. Like I said, I doubt I’ll ever get a deal like that again. He had just posted the add like 15 minutes before, and I was 30 miles away headed straight towards him.

Yep, deals like that require dropping everything. It’s only a matter of minutes before some jack wagon starts telling them they are giving them away and they’ll pay more.

Nice work and great looking 064!

Is that an early one with the Bosch coil? Coil/flywheel combo?

Looks not too wild of porting, cleaned up nice. Did you widen and or change timing?

What about the muffler?

It deserves a build thread!
Band and base cut. Timing changed and ports widened. The more I port cylinders, the more they look like they weren’t touched.

This one came in at 96/116/81.5. Didn’t use any epoxy.

The muffler was modded and then high temp powder coated.

There is a full thread on the forbidden site.

A78014D7-6DAF-4590-900A-3E320A0C8812.jpeg C619C855-F9A1-49A9-A888-941E6BC71BCD.jpeg 9D41F6BB-377A-490C-B31B-A671667135F7.jpeg 92B21D77-A364-49A6-BA8A-FDEE614F4C52.jpeg 4CC46F7E-4E5C-4D1C-818E-557E8B6DB68B.jpeg

Latest posts

Back