• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Stihl 066/660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyeThomas

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I would like to purchase a good condition 066/660. I am willing to wait a bit if someone has one they would need to build or refurb, or if you have a good quality saw in your collection and could use to free up some room.

I would like it to be from a trusted known seller or member, I can't afford to get a saw that looks good but has been built with inferior parts. If I wanted that I'd go low balling on e-bay.

My budget is around $600, PHO shipped to Northern Virginia zip 20112. Budget is pretty firm, I could do something more for a great deal on a great saw but with it being Christmas, having 3 little ones, and the fact Firemen don't make a fortune it's got to be close.

PM is best, thanks Rye.

I've thought about a 461, and honestly it could probably do the job. I have a job where I need to pull a 30"-32" then it will really be only pulling a 25" bar full time. I can take the 25" off my 362 and go back to the 20".
I'm just wondering if the 362/461 combo aren't a little too close if you can only have 2 saws???

I'm willing to hear about one if someone's got a good deal but I'm pretty set on a 066/660, course I've been wrong many times before.

I've thought about a 461, and honestly it could probably do the job. I have a job where I need to pull a 30"-32" then it will really be only pulling a 25" bar full time. I can take the 25" off my 362 and go back to the 20".
I'm just wondering if the 362/461 combo aren't a little too close if you can only have 2 saws???

I'm willing to hear about one if someone's got a good deal but I'm pretty set on a 066/660, course I've been wrong many times before.
460/461 is a great saw, and unless the 362 is ported or a c-m it won't be to close at all.
If it's a standard carbed stock 362 they are turds in my opinion. Buy a 461 sell the 362(with the other options on the market I'd sell the 362 in a heartbeat) and get a 550xp, or a ported ms241, if your stuck on stihl ;). For a two saw plan the 461 and a 550 will kick butt on most everything you need to do. The 461 is very comfortable wearing a 25 and a 32 now and then. If you really need a bigger saw then the cost of a brand new 661/395 shouldn't be a big deal as it will be paid for while still making a profit in 2 jobs. For someone making money off tree work(especially big trees) the price of a new saw is a very small cost.
The 461 will do most everything a 660 will and is way less weight, unless you specialize in large trees. When I say large trees I mean you have equipment(skid, crane) on most jobs. When you say you need a 30-32 I hear a 40+ tree with some odd shape or a large root flare, or a 50+ straight trunk.
I can do the 461 I have for the same price we discussed.
Let me know if you want pictures.

I have the MS 362 C-M, purchased it brand new and I really like the saw.
When I say jobs I'm taking trees and wood for personal use, I'm not getting paid in $$$ per say just in what saves me in my home heating bill.
I only buy Stihl because a guy in the department also runs a family owned Stihl dealer, gets parts cheap, local business and family owned and operated which is a huge deal to me.
I can't and won't buy another new saw, I've learned too much over the last few years and understand how much you can save and how these things can be built/rebuilt to last.
The large firewood job I have is some of the biggest oaks I have seen in my area were laid over in a storm.

So I want to keep my 362 (sentimental I guess, my first and last new one), and then grab a bigger saw to go with it. I prefer a Stihl, that way I can help a fellow brother out when I break it, lol.

So would you still look at the 460?
I will say I'm tough on equipment and like to lean on things, that's why I want to pull my 25" off my 362.

Lastly a used 460 and 660 seem to be close in price, does it make sense to pay about the same?

Thanks guys, Rye.

Oh and I wanted to add most of you know far more than I ever will and I appreciate the advice. I'm not trying to come off like I know anything.
I am a pain and while changing saws and manufacturers to get the best all around may be best, I'm going to stick to my Stihl's and my 362 no matter how much sense it doesn't make. Lol, you can't teach an old moron anything!

Good, you don't have the turd lol.
The 362 is not well suited to the 24". A 20" is a nice bar and an 18" for fun or for a powerful limber.
Firewood is way different than getting paid for work up front, but it is similar as you will be making money, it's just more rear loaded than a "tree job".
I most certainly like supporting a local dealer that does a great job supporting you. We have one such dealer for stihl within 30min and one within 50 and I will support them when I can.
Buying new is probably not for you as you already stated your trying to save money with it and not make money with it, they are similar, but very different worlds for sure. I'm personally very committed to getting a deal/not paying full retail for anything. That being said if I sold my 660 and then needed a big saw for a paying job dropping a grand plus isn't a large deal in my mind as I'd be making money with it and would have calculated that into the bid. Not that I expect someone to pay for the whole saw, but I would allow for a saw purchase in my bid and if I didn't get the job, oh well on to the next one but I can do what I can't do.
I know big oaks for sure, I bought a 660 with a 32 B&C to make 40 cuts on two 110yr old red oaks at my parents place, then I sold it for what I had into it and kept a bunch of goodies I got with it ;).
Burn your sentimentality in the fire tonight, it will save you money in the long run, as my signature says "Lots of stuff made of metal and plastic", just stuff that's it, people are what's important to me. I'm not saying get rid of that saw though, it's a great saw:chainsaw:.
No need to get rid of the 362, but a 241 under it and a 460/461 over it is probably all that's "needed" :).
I could have easily done the old oaks with a 460/461 and a 32" B&C.
As far as the price I believe the reason they are so close is the usefulness of a 460/461 for most people is so much higher which drives the price up, most don't need a 660 for 99.5% of what they cut and for that .05 get on AS and ask for help from another member in your area, you said you are trying to save money burning wood, right!
Welcome buddy.
Oh and I wanted to add most of you know far more than I ever will and I appreciate the advice. I'm not trying to come off like I know anything.
I am a pain and while changing saws and manufacturers to get the best all around may be best, I'm going to stick to my Stihl's and my 362 no matter how much sense it doesn't make. Lol, you can't teach an old moron anything!
I'll leave that to others:innocent:.

Said large oak :thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:.IMAG1376.jpg

I would go with 461. chipper has some really nice 461's

The obvious answer is both.

I bought a 441 several years ago and when the time came for a slightly smaller saw I got a 261. That saw felt anemic with a 16" bar so I traded it for a 362. Now I have 2 saws really close to one another and decided I want to go to the bottom so I picked up a 241.

Just recently I decided I need something bigger than the 441.... based on what I have, the 461 didn't make a lot of sense. I toyed with getting rid of the 441 in order to get the 461, but the cost difference between the 461 and 661 lead me down the path of keeping the 441 and adding the 661.

You can always run smaller bars on big power heads. But going the other way will leave you wanting.

sent from a field

I would go with 461. chipper has some really nice 461's
Thanks Gary:cheers:.
I know he does and I am starting to lean that way but they are still a little outside my price range.
Then be patient and wait, no need to hurry, free wood get's expensive quick if you aren't careful.
It's funny how quick someone can spend 30-40k to get free wood, hey wait I resemble that but only slightly :surprised3:.
I would put up a post requesting help/ wanting to run other saws that members in your area have.
That way you can get to know some of the guys that are in your neck of the woods and you will have the opportunity to try a few different saws, who knows maybe one of them will want to sell one that you like and you can work something out.
You know what they say, if it's worth having, it's worth waiting for, and a 460/461 is worth waiting for. They have great torque and it's a very proven platform for a work saw as well as nice with a ported cylinder.
As you said it comes at a price. Patience is key to saving money, and knowledge and patience together with a good amount of cash will get you what your looking for :yes:.
The obvious answer is both.

I bought a 441 several years ago and when the time came for a slightly smaller saw I got a 261. That saw felt anemic with a 16" bar so I traded it for a 362. Now I have 2 saws really close to one another and decided I want to go to the bottom so I picked up a 241.

Just recently I decided I need something bigger than the 441.... based on what I have, the 461 didn't make a lot of sense. I toyed with getting rid of the 441 in order to get the 461, but the cost difference between the 461 and 661 lead me down the path of keeping the 441 and adding the 661.

You can always run smaller bars on big power heads. But going the other way will leave you wanting.

sent from a field
I say ditto.
Many times we get one and decide we want something else after using it.
My motto is similar to the kill them all and let God sort them out one, it's buy them all and see which one fit's your needs best. This being said needs change a lot over time. I hardly use my 50cc saws anymore because most of my wood is in the form of logs that I pick up. I bring my saws upstairs and set them on the tail of the trailer. A 70cc saw that goes from the back of the trailer 10-20' to a pile of logs is pretty light even for a small guy like me.
So now that you have the 661 I can just call you when I get some big stuff if I sell my 660 to Rye, right neighbor I do have a 36" setup if you need to use it also, just let me know. I will be heading by there tomorrow if there's anything else you need as well. I do have an extra 14 here if you want to try it on the 241.
Forgot this, the specs on the 441 vs the 460 are the same for weight, the 441 has 5.6hp and the 460 has 6hp. The difference between an mtronic(or moronic for auto spell lol)is minimal unless the guy running the 460 knows how to tune it well. The 441 is a much smoother saw, like way smoother, did I say it's smoother :lol:. Casey you have the smoothest of all the saws in their class/stihls. The 441 is great for a firewood saw. I personally would go with a 460/461 for any type of production unless I had issues with the vibrations. I like them both a lot.

Rye you getting enough yet :innocent:.

Called my buddy in the department, he's got a 440/460/660/880 and has a tree service business on the side. He said stop by and run them!
He knows me and has cut with me before. His opinion if I'm keeping the 362 is go 660. He said no question, I'm a leaner I set the dawgs and lean on her. With my mentality and stubbornness he said the few extra lbs in the 660 isn't going to be an issue and I will not be disappointed.
Not saying he's right but he knows me all too well.

So time to start saving!

I want Chippers 660!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have an 036, 460, 660, and just bought a 440. Here's some random thoughts in no particular order.

It's a tough call. Honestly, I think if you buy a 460, you won't use the 362 very much. Maybe with an 18" bar, but when you get into 20" bar territory, the 460 is more fun. Especially if you're a "leaner".

A 660 is a big saw. It's definitely considerably clumsier than the 460. But, for firewood use, you can put a 20" or a 25" bar on it, and it's not too bad. If you're just cutting firewood it's not like you have to drag the thing up and down a slope all day every day.

I like my 660 quite a bit (it's also ported, which helps). If I had to choose between keeping the 440, 460, or 660, it'd be a tough choice. The 70 cc saws get a lot more use than the 660 does. That 660 makes me smile, though. It also makes other people open their mouths and say "holy $hit" after running it, which is worth something.

I think either way, you'll end up with a good saw. If you want something that's way stronger than your 362, I think you know what to buy. If you want something that you use everyday and makes the 362 stay in the truck, a 460 would be a good choice. With a 20" bar on my 460, my 036 doesn't get used much. I also have smaller saws, and if that wasn't the case, I'd be reaching for the 036 and 16" bar a lot more often.

I noodled some larger stuff today 24"L and too big form me to lift. I must say the 25" bar on my 362 is a bit of a stretch for noodleing such wood. Again I'm sure it's more my fault.
I may need a larger saw sooner than later.
Thanks for all the advice guys, think I'll go 660 now or soon. I never carry my saw far. I'll put the 20" back on the 362 and put her back in her happy spot. Then if I feel I need a 460 I can come to terms with selling the 362 for the right 460.

Thanks Gary:cheers:.

Then be patient and wait, no need to hurry, free wood get's expensive quick if you aren't careful.
It's funny how quick someone can spend 30-40k to get free wood, hey wait I resemble that but only slightly :surprised3:.
I would put up a post requesting help/ wanting to run other saws that members in your area have.
That way you can get to know some of the guys that are in your neck of the woods and you will have the opportunity to try a few different saws, who knows maybe one of them will want to sell one that you like and you can work something out.
You know what they say, if it's worth having, it's worth waiting for, and a 460/461 is worth waiting for. They have great torque and it's a very proven platform for a work saw as well as nice with a ported cylinder.
As you said it comes at a price. Patience is key to saving money, and knowledge and patience together with a good amount of cash will get you what your looking for :yes:.

I say ditto.
Many times we get one and decide we want something else after using it.
My motto is similar to the kill them all and let God sort them out one, it's buy them all and see which one fit's your needs best. This being said needs change a lot over time. I hardly use my 50cc saws anymore because most of my wood is in the form of logs that I pick up. I bring my saws upstairs and set them on the tail of the trailer. A 70cc saw that goes from the back of the trailer 10-20' to a pile of logs is pretty light even for a small guy like me.
So now that you have the 661 I can just call you when I get some big stuff if I sell my 660 to Rye, right neighbor I do have a 36" setup if you need to use it also, just let me know. I will be heading by there tomorrow if there's anything else you need as well. I do have an extra 14 here if you want to try it on the 241.
Forgot this, the specs on the 441 vs the 460 are the same for weight, the 441 has 5.6hp and the 460 has 6hp. The difference between an mtronic(or moronic for auto spell lol)is minimal unless the guy running the 460 knows how to tune it well. The 441 is a much smoother saw, like way smoother, did I say it's smoother [emoji38]. Casey you have the smoothest of all the saws in their class/stihls. The 441 is great for a firewood saw. I personally would go with a 460/461 for any type of production unless I had issues with the vibrations. I like them both a lot.

Rye you getting enough yet :innocent:.
You spend a lot of time on the road. I'll pm you my address and you can split a cord or 2 on your way through.

sent from a field

You spend a lot of time on the road. I'll pm you my address and you can split a cord or 2 on your way through.

sent from a field
For sure buddy, just can't do it this time going by as we have a few time constraints.
Heading that way now, need to try a 14 on the little guy :).
Also I do have a spare 36" sitting here now ;).

I know he does and I am starting to lean that way but they are still a little outside my price range.
Follow the green boarder line to the top right corner it will say unwatch thread/thread tools select thread tools and it will have a way to change it to sold.
Calling a mod when not needed is like calling 911 when not needed, but getting a mod when not needed it like:chainsaw::lol:.
Thanks again Rye.

Latest posts

Back