Stihl 066 Chainsaw Red Eye Light

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its a rev limiting ignition model of the 066. the handlebar on that one doesnt look right, it looks like it came from a husky or an 038

That handle is weird and could make accessing the bar/chain assy a bit of a pain, I've never seen that before.

Plus it doesn't have decompression. Didn't know you could get a 066 without it, why would you opt for that?

Do a search for redeye 066 or redlight special. For the most part, a highly regarded, albeit early, version of the 066. I have one myself. Far and away my favorite saw.

I believe 064s use the same module minus the LED.

Those first 066s didn't have compression release. Not even a hole in the top cover for one. With an elastostart, it isn't much trouble to start.

Chris B.

handlebar looks like a madsens "USA Aftermarket" full wrap handlebar to me. i have one of their bars on my husky 181. has held up to several logs rolling over it without even a dent. madsens offers for Stihl saws a factory style thats all metal, and the full wrap style. i recently put one of the madsens factory style wrap bars on a friends 044. looks and works super. my 044 also has a set of madsens big dogs on it.. they work far better than the factory setup.

The description does say that it has an aftermarket handlebar. I wonder if he means the electrical tape on the rear handle... :rolleyes:

Pretty clean saw. Description also said it has full house .404 chain. I'm sure it's a typo but wouldn't that chain be somethingto see.

Chris B.

oldsaw-addict said:
its a rev limiting ignition model of the 066. the handlebar on that one doesnt look right, it looks like it came from a husky or an 038

Why would you think it was from a 038 ? That makes no sense at all. I realize you posted this before it was identified as a USA handlebar but still why did you think 038 ?

I had a nice Red Eye. I sold it to a member here. I have another one but it is scored so somtime I will get it back into service.

Bill

Bill G said:
Why would you think it was from a 038 ? That makes no sense at all. I realize you posted this before it was identified as a USA handlebar but still why did you think 038 ?
Its the design of the handlebar, it reminds me of an 038/husky style handlebar. I dont think it actually came off an 038, since the size of the 2 saws is VERY different. sorry for the confusion.

oldsaw-addict said:
Its the design of the handlebar, it reminds me of an 038/husky style handlebar. I dont think it actually came off an 038, since the size of the 2 saws is VERY different. sorry for the confusion.

Well as far as I know Stihl never made a full wrap for the 038 or 066 thus the "design" would be indicitive of the manufacturer of the handlebar and not model. That is the design would be the same on many models so trying to indentify the handlebar as coming off a different saw would be wrong but heck I could be wrong also.

Bill

oldsaw-addict said:
The 038 parts list shows a full wrap similar to that for it. look up part #1119 760 3605

Well part number 1119 760 3605 is not a valid number. Stihl does list a full wrap for the 038 so I am wrong there. The actual number is #1119 790 3605 but is not what is pictured on the saw in question. It will not fit the 066. They do not interchange.

Bill

The "Red Light" is a built in tachometer, not a rev limiter. It is used to adjust the high speed jet accurately. You run the saw at full throttle and adjust the high speed jet until the red light stays on, then turn it in 1/2 turn, and it is adjusted.
These saws are highly regarded and have just a little more "get up and go" than other 066's or 660's.
They where made in 1991.

cbfarmall said:
Do a search for redeye 066 or redlight special. For the most part, a highly regarded, albeit early, version of the 066. I have one myself. Far and away my favorite saw.

I believe 064s use the same module minus the LED.

Those first 066s didn't have compression release. Not even a hole in the top cover for one. With an elastostart, it isn't much trouble to start.

Chris B.

i used a 64 like that years ago,digital sticker one hell of a saw.

My friend has to worn out 038s he got in a trade, both had full wraps. I have to agree on that 066 looking like husky or 038 handle, whether or not my buddies saws came with wraps, or aftermarket not sure? Baielys used to sell wraps like that. I got one of my buddies 038, and put it on my 044 works fine, but as someone said earlier need short bar wrench, but still better than buying one new from dealer. I checked with a couple only 10 dollars more for saw with wrap handle new, but if you just by handle seperate new, about a 100 dollars.

Are you sure a 038 handle won't fit on a 66?
I bought a 46 that was run over, no front handle or brake handle, but ran otherwise, I stuck an old 28 handle on it to try it out, it was close to the top cover, and hard on the knuckels, but it did fit. It's of course since been replaced with the correct one, but for 'check out before you buy' purposes, it worked fine.
-Ralph

It appears that the wrap handle bar is made by Pro Safety not USA. I had them both on my 084 and 066. I sold the 66 and when I bought a new one was informed that Pro Safetys were no longer available......bummer so I had to go with USA. Pro Safety is a little bit heavier duty and better quality construction than the USAs, they were also more expensive.
Madsens sells the USA brand for most popular felling saws for around 40-50 bucks.

begleytree said:
Are you sure a 038 handle won't fit on a 66?-Ralph

Well it is closing in on midnight but else do I have to do. I pulled a handle off a 038 magnum and a 066 red eye. I will post a picture of them in comparison so you can judge.

Bill

yes indeed the "red-eye" 066's are a great saw.
it is a difficult task to beat mine in the stock saw classes(even with me runnung round filed chain). :)
the next version was known for shearing the flywheel off the crank. the saw would rev up fine but when the chain would hit the wood the flywheel would maintain speed and break the crank at the case. the cranks were too small. we would rebuild them to stihl specs but they were just not the same. a little more "doggie".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back