Stihl 066 flywheels

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thompson1600

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have been reading about the flywheels on the older 066's. The older flywheels were metal and had a smaller diameter crankshaft. The newer flywheels are polymer and have a larger crankshaft. Is there any advantage to running the older metal flywheels vs the newer polymer ones? more torque? more mass? I hear a lot about the 066 red light version, which would have had the smaller crankshaft and metal flywheel. Was the flywheel part of the benefit or just the muffler and pre-EPA have more to do with it? Thanks

Tom

I'm no expert on anything but I thought I heard somthing about the poly flywheels being to help the saw rev quicker for limbing operations.

Yeah, the polymer flywheel is sold as causing less lateral torque on the handler as it revs due to less mass, and less kinetic energy in motion. I'm sure it's a miniscule amount, but would the polymer flywheel sap less hp from the saw, as it has less mass and thus less inertial potential to overcome when you get on the trigger?

Sorry I didn't really address your question Tom. I'm just rambling....

Jeff

Back