Stihl 066 Muffler Mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Yes I know its probably been well covered before but I thought I would post up my job

Decided to attack the 066 muffler and open it up for better flow while the saw is in bits on the bench waiting on parts for the oil pump to turn up.

Baffles....... hate them! All my cars have had open exhausts in the past and why should these be an exception. I always use hearing protection so noise is not an issue
Bored a 20mm hole in the front of the baffle and opened up the holes in the side angled towards the exit points
066 muff mod 2.jpg

066 muff mod 3.jpg

Took to the front dual port muffler cover and opened up the exit by about 50% by rounding out the standard slot with a 16mm hole saw with the pilot removed.
I then cut new SS spark screens from fine 55% open area mesh to keep it safe but reduce restriction as the stock mesh is probably between 30 to 40% open. You can see the difference when you hold it up to the light. Stock mesh is much darker to look through.
066 muff mod 1.jpg

066 muff mod 4.jpg
Going to clean it all out and paint it with silver high temp paint.

This beast eats through big hard gum tree trunks with a 30" bar like a hot knife through butter so I cant wait to give it a run once I get it back together and re-tune her

Looks like you're on the right track, I'm no professional by any stretch of mind and I totally cut the baffle out of my ms460 which might be overkill but worked. Just remember (which I'm sure you will) to give er more fuel and double check your tune. I'd hate for a guy be jazzed on his rebuild and forget that then be back in the saw shop. Good luck and safe cutting boss

Oh yeah I plan to re-tune
I have a Stihl tacho which is very handy
I can't wait to see how it goes as it was a serious machine before.

Cleaned up the muffler and painted it tonight
Perfect time to bake the high temp paint in the oven as the wife has gone out :dancing:
The kids keep asking...... whats that smell dad? :innocent:Muffler paint 1.jpg

Chopping board was a wedding present from a good mate over 10 years ago.
We had it for about a year when a wood borer made its way out of the top...... I couldn't believe it.
Made from Tasmanian blackwood and is sensational!

http://www.thebigchop.com.au/

Back