Stihl 066 problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Stihl 066 NEED HELP!

I have a problem with the 066. The seam from the gas tank to the handle split and is leaking fuel. I tried JB weld around it, but it seems the fuel is still finding its way out. Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe an 066-660 fuel tank/ Handle assembly they would like to sell? Some advice would be appreciated. Its my $$ making saw
-ac

Last edited:
i have had good luck using a wood burning pen to melt cracks back together on stihl tanks. specifically 038 tanks (older but probably same material).
one was a crack nowhere near a seam, one was a seam that opened up and one was across and perpendicular to the seem under the handle by the master control.
all of them melted back together and one has been in service and well used for about a year now.

seams are o.k. but thinner areas away from the seam required a donor piece of plastic from another trashed tank.

i use the 1/4 inch wide 'knife' tip to cut a valley where the crack is and then use the flat side of the same tip to pull material in and smooth out.

ymmv.

Back