Stihl 066 problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattwo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an 066 that will idle fine but after it warms up will die at full rpms. I bought the saw used and it ran ok for a short time. What things should I check to find the problem. I am a novice at repair work but willing to tackle anything. Thanks! New to the forum. I have a Stihl 066 obviously, Stihl 009 and Husky 41 that has taken a licking but keeps on ticking! Also bought a used Thomas band sawmill last year and having a blast with it.

Welcome to the group.

Martinsville In here, Iam going to say fuel delivery issues., later experts will be in here to solve your problems.

After it dies will it restart right away?>

Mike, I have boys or now young men of my own. (20 and 22) So I know what you mean! Sorry. The saw will rev cold. It will run at full throttle but not for long. If it starts to bog down I can release the throttle and nurse it back to an idle. If I don't catch it you would think I hit the kill switch. After it dies it takes a few pulls to restart but always restarts. Hope this helps a bit.

Yes, this sounds like an air leak, or fuel delivery. Check fuel tank vent. Loosen the cap and see if the problem is lessened.
Check fuel lines and impulse lines for leaks. You can disassemble the carb and check the little screen for blockage, as well as inspecting the rest of it for problems. The smallest particle can cause a problem.

Thanks all for responding! I have not had a chance to do anything to the saw yet but your info should point me in the right direction.

It also could be a carb out of adjustment.Lots of people try and tweak their carbs for more power,usually they end up leaning the mixture out too far and it can cause the same problem you described.I would change the fuel filter and make sure your carb is adjusted right.

Latest posts

Back