Stihl 066 timing problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillChinitz

Reaction score
I replaced a malfunctioning ignition module(no spark) on a 066 circa 1966 with a new module, the only one that would whose geometry was compatible with the original.
The problem is that when I pull the chord ,it fires but way early.
The result is ,of course, no start and the chord ripped out of my hand.

Any suggestions as to the cause of the problem

I replaced a malfunctioning ignition module(no spark) on a 066 circa 1966 with a new module, the only one that would whose geometry was compatible with the original.
The problem is that when I pull the chord ,it fires but way early.
The result is ,of course, no start and the chord ripped out of my hand.

Any suggestions as to the cause of the problem

Did the supplier of the mod say it was compatible with your saw, if so ask them if they can throw any light on the matter, failing that ask a Stihl dealer to confirm it, sometimes they change ignition timings on older to new models.

Does your saw have a de-compressor fitted ?

Do a search in the archives to see if there might have been different modules requiring the flywheel keyway location to be different.

I don't know if this apply's to the 066 series or not, but he 084 had this very thing. Installing the flywheel in the wrong keyway for the newer module would fire too early and would really leave an impression.

Try this thread:
Stihl 066 Question

Last edited:
Back