stihl 066 vs husky 2100??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOE

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm looking for a bigger saw and came across two for sale locally. One is a stihl 066 and the other is a husky 2100. I'm looking for something to put a 30"+ bar on for stumps and cutting fire wood out of large dead oak trunks. I know the 066 has a is loved and respected but don't know much about the 2100. Will it keep up with an 066? is the saw itself a much heavier? will it have big gains with muffler mods? It is cheaper than the 066 wich I like. thanks

go stihl. the 066 is a excellent saw and yes their are things you can do to make the better . bigger dogs / muffler mods

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure I heard parts are becoming harder to find for the 2100.

Cant go worng with an 066.....takes extremely well to mods! Send it Dean for a stage 2 and you'll have a serious stump killer.

The 2100 had an excellent reputation in it's day and many old-timers still remember them fondly (I ran a 2101XP for a couple seasons many years ago). But the sad fact is that 2100 is between 20 and 30 years old. I'd suggest getting somethnig newer.

Here's a link to the Chainsaw Collector's Corner-
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...e833e76f0bf8658788256b5200199012?OpenDocument

Here's a pic of me with the 2101XP (the later version of the 2100).

I love my 066 magnum good saw parts are easy to find. I think it would be a great saw for large wood and it uses a common bar and chain size. It is a good all around saw. Can't go wrong with one of them

How does power of the 2100 compare to 066? This saw would be used at times for large cutting but would be taking a back seat to my dolmar 7900 and husky 246 most of the time.

The 2100 will out stump a 66 but the 66 is a better saw to have and run also you can get parts for the 66 I have lots of 2100's and all they do is sit around I run my 660 and 440 all the time I only bring the 2100 out to show somebody how they run about once a year Go with the 66 hands down

Does the husky 2100 take the same bar as newer,huskys,(372,395,etc)?

Here is an update: I finally had a chance to look at the 2100. It looks like a new saw. THe owner bought it out west and moved. He estimated it cut about 10 cords and store it since. I bought it.
I haven't used it other than cutting some bigger logs on my wood pile....wow talk about tourqe.
One thing I noticed is that it leaks bar oil when it sits. It seems to be coming from the removeable part on the oil tank right below the fill cap. Is this typical? Do these saws have big gains with muffler mods,(it has all the power I need but it's always cool to have more)? Are there any weak spots I should look for on these saws? thanks

I have a 2100 and im pulling a 32" bar and it is a screamer....i dont need any more power than this:chainsaw: ...... i would check the oil leak problem over.....my 2100 doesnt leak any but i have an older husky that leaks some when it sits but not much......mine has some minor muffler mods.....but im not sure how it did before because i bought it that way.:clap:

MacDaddy said:
The 2100 will out stump a 66 but the 66 is a better saw to have and run also you can get parts for the 66 I have lots of 2100's and all they do is sit around I run my 660 and 440 all the time I only bring the 2100 out to show somebody how they run about once a year Go with the 66 hands down
Would u be willing to part with at least one of those 2100's? I'm down to my last good one, and gettin worried

Is there anybody modifying the larger Husky saws such as the 395,2100,3120?

Ggg said:

Run a search on this site, there's plenty of information on that around. But to answer your question, yes, many people do run modded saws of those models.

i modify and service all brands and models of pro saws, same with Dean and most of the other builders. lots of choices around!
Ggg said:

lovetheoutdoors said:
I have a 2100 and im pulling a 32" bar and it is a screamer....i dont need any more power than this:chainsaw: ...... i would check the oil leak problem over.....my 2100 doesnt leak any but i have an older husky that leaks some when it sits but not much......mine has some minor muffler mods.....but im not sure how it did before because i bought it that way.:clap:

I think it's definantly leaking out of the piece below the oil fill cap. I'll take it out one of these days and try sealing it up. It's not a major leak but enough to put something under it on the shop floor. Is there a chance a low hour one like this could have the thin ring piston people talk about? What do I look for when I pull the muffler off,(thin means nothing unless I know what a thick ring looks like). thanks

Back