stihl 066 vs old stihl 076 chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I had a well respected, long time Stihl dealer that has served loggers everyday for years the said it "was operating as it should" and found no problem. It had a clean piston and strong compression when pulling the starter.
It must be cactus, send it to me, I will give it a loving home in its retirement.
Fangst

I aint been here long but don't worry about your correct gramma Justin,2dogs didn't even have the common courtesy to refer to you using your forum name of "stihl cutter" let alone anywhere near answer your posted question,i somehow like the older saws,i don't run them for a living but they are a bit like old cars?the simpler times?a bit heavier and slower,but still got grunt when its needed,the only stihl I have is an 038 av super and its my favourite saw,ill bet itll run with any equivalent new saw?it hauls ass and spews noodles like any saw should,its just old,and perhaps heavy for weaklings?

I aint been here long but don't worry about your correct gramma Justin,2dogs didn't even have the common courtesy to refer to you using your forum name of "stihl cutter" let alone anywhere near answer your posted question,i somehow like the older saws,i don't run them for a living but they are a bit like old cars?the simpler times?a bit heavier and slower,but still got grunt when its needed,the only stihl I have is an 038 av super and its my favourite saw,ill bet itll run with any equivalent new saw?it hauls ass and spews noodles like any saw should,its just old.

The 038 is a great saw an thanks for the reply. I use my 041 almost daily but thats just cause i like it lol i have a ms290 that i buck with if im not usen the 041.

I found this 038 in in a dumpster in my job years ago Justin,was missing chain and oil cap,been running it for years now nothing wrong with it,australia truly is the lucky country as my mate also working with me found an 048 a year later,we got that going with little effort,two great stihl saws found in the trash and both running like steam trains!mate wont sell me the 048,make a great pigeon pair?

I aint been here long but don't worry about your correct gramma Justin,2dogs didn't even have the common courtesy to refer to you using your forum name of "stihl cutter" let alone anywhere near answer your posted question,i somehow like the older saws,i don't run them for a living but they are a bit like old cars?the simpler times?a bit heavier and slower,but still got grunt when its needed,the only stihl I have is an 038 av super and its my favourite saw,ill bet itll run with any equivalent new saw?it hauls ass and spews noodles like any saw should,its just old,and perhaps heavy for weaklings?

True doesn't take very long for anyone new to AS to work out 2dogs is our hero! or am I confusing that with grumpy old man hating on the world? meh I like to think he's only having a bad week and not a bad life?... At least cheeky ass westcoaster90 can make you laugh am yet to see that with anything grumpy ass has ever said WTF is up with that?
I wonder if Bonnie Tyler knew all she had to do was log onto AS to find him? :laugh:

lol is only in good fun a good old ribbing as they say hey 2dogs :D..

The 075 was the predecessor of the 076 and initially came without chain brake (oil filler on top like the early 051). With the introduction of the chain brake and a new crank case the filler was moved to the side... This version is largely identical with the 076.

boy, I never knew so many people knew so much about saw models and the changes seam,like car and dirt bike people know all the ins and outs of model years etc.

Had an 076 from new 1985 - 2002 and 066 from new 2002 to present day.

I didn't find the 066 ran all over the 076 in any area except being lighter to carry
round the bush.

The 076 was a torquey saw and did a heap of work for me cutting fence posts, cattleyard
rails 20ft long x 9-10" wide x 2" thick freehand, plus the usual firewood, falling and fencing.

They are both good saws.

Had an 076 from new 1985 - 2002 and 066 from new 2002 to present day.

I didn't find the 066 ran all over the 076 in any area except being lighter to carry
round the bush.

The 076 was a torquey saw and did a heap of work for me cutting fence posts, cattleyard
rails 20ft long x 9-10" wide x 2" thick freehand, plus the usual firewood, falling and fencing.

They are both good saws.
Ken Oth.
Thangst

The 075 was the predecessor of the 076 and initially came without chain brake (oil filler on top like the early 051). With the introduction of the chain brake and a new crank case the filler was moved to the side... This version is largely identical with the 076.
I was looking at 1 and he says its an 075 but has no name tags an has manual oiler button on top full wrap an oil cap on the side how can i tell em apart it does have the chain brake/ guard provision.

Near twice the chain speed??
What rpm is your 066 running?

The 076 is a grunt saw. Great with a 41" bar.

Key word "Near".
066 = 13,000. 076 = 9000.
I own both saws and there's no way the 076 will out cut the 066. Keep in mind the 076 is less than 10cc's larger with the same horsepower and slower chain speed.

Good competition for the 076 would be a Jonny 111 or a Homelite 750, both of which will hand the 076 it's azz. Those saws are within 2cc's of each other and are close to the same weight. I know I ran all three with 42" bars buried and there is NO comparison. If you are an 076 super fan, buck some big timber with one of these other saws or a 2100 Homelite, 2100 Husky, or possibly many other good 6 cube saws, and I doubt you will be after that. Stihl must have gotten the porting wrong would be my guess and I have read that if ported, and used as they were supposed to be, the bottom ends will not hold up. I really wanted to like mine but just couldn't.

Back