Stihl 070 and 090 clutch question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edaigle

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am just wondering if any one of you could help here. I restored a great Stihl 070 and added a big OEM bore 66mm so 090. I noticed that the clutch on the 070 is smaller than the 090. Now the saw is having more torque, is there any difference in clutches or the 070 is fine... Just wondering.
Thanks in advance,
EricView attachment 272712

Well, the smaller clutch will continue to work fine but you won't be able to fully utilize the total amount of power you now have. ie, the chances of slipping under high load is greater. Try it like it is. If it's a problem, change it. You gonna be milling with it?

Nice looking saw!! the small clutch should cope fine for general use, the early contra lightning S 137cc had the small clutch and seemed to cope ok. Im looking for that earl style of starter cover for my 090. cheers.

Well, the smaller clutch will continue to work fine but you won't be able to fully utilize the total amount of power you now have. ie, the chances of slipping under high load is greater. Try it like it is. If it's a problem, change it. You gonna be milling with it?

Thanks I will keep an eye on it. It make sense to me what you said. That part is none available on e bay! Would you know someone who have one?

Yes I will mill with it!

yeah add me to the list of looking for an 090 clutch.......... i have a box of spare 090 parts but no clutch.

I have a beat up 070 i want to restore and convert someday aswell.

You should be able to buy a new clutch from a dealer. They will have to order it.
I believe in the US they retail for around $300.00
I purchased a new 090 clutch last year in Australia at my dealer ( probably not the cheapest dealer ) it was $385.00 Australian dollars so they are available and not cheap.
Wait till you price an oil pump .

If your 090 clutch has worn linings then the cheapest oprion is to either machine or get a thin bit of tube and insert it into the clutch drum.
It will take up the slack where the pads have gone.
Perhaps another option would be to see if a brake place can rebond on some shoes. They may gave to machine them down to size.
If you go with the steel insert then the clutch will be like the 070 and most other Stihl steel shoe clutches

There is a seller on USA e bay selling shoes at the moment. I can buy the shoes cheaper from my dealer in Australia than their price and no shipping costs.
There was an 090 clutch that sold a month ago on your ebay. I pointed out to the seller it had no pads left as they described the clutch in good working condition. They never printed my comment so some unsuspecting guy has brought it.
Wayne

Latest posts

Back