Stihl 070 convertible to an 090

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes they do, but you'd also want to upgrade the clutch to the 6 shoe 090 one if you don't want to mess up your crank, also upgrade the crankshaft nut and washer and taper, and they can be pricey.
Check out thechainsawguy .
I haven't done any of this, I've just been researching it all for a possible future build myself.

Good evening. I found out after getting an 090 cylinder that they are not even close and NOT INTERCHANGEABLE.
090 cylinder is totally different and will not even bolt onto the crankcase.

That's a shame, I really wanted to build this kit based on the assumption the 90 cylinder would fit. All the reading I've done suggest it would. Thanks I think you've just saved me some aggravation.

What cylinder did you get? Just watched a you tube video, by kiwi guy 070 to 090 conversion, he uses the farmertec cylinder and piston, bolts straight on, shows it running at the end.

090 top end bolts onto the 070...no problem there. Your problem is the 3 shoe clutch, it slips under just 070 power and is no match for an 090. Kicker is..you'll probably pay more for the clutch swap than you did the saw

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

ok. I have pics in which once i figure out how to post, i will. The 090 cylinder OD will not fit into the 070 case. OD on 070 way smaller where it fits down inside case. Totally impossible. The 070 was a new unused Hutzl saw and the 090 cylinder was also a Hutzl. I have pics with a micrometer showing no way it fits down into recess of case

090 cylinder. Notice the OD and missing intake/exhaust ports.

Attachments

• F896B0D7-F1D2-461E-9CD1-C6C7FB4F5B8B.jpeg
    F896B0D7-F1D2-461E-9CD1-C6C7FB4F5B8B.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 15
  • 0E47CAAE-AF71-49E3-A835-FC6CCB6AA7D8.jpeg
    0E47CAAE-AF71-49E3-A835-FC6CCB6AA7D8.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 15
070 cylinder. Notice OD measurement and intake/exhaust ports. Cylinder suppose to fit down inside crankcase. It ain’t happening.

Attachments

• 495C4A1A-C14A-4EDC-AD49-7574A8A8E90F.jpeg
    495C4A1A-C14A-4EDC-AD49-7574A8A8E90F.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 963A76B4-FE04-42B7-8CC3-4A5B30184091.jpeg
    963A76B4-FE04-42B7-8CC3-4A5B30184091.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 7
What cylinder did you get? Just watched a you tube video, by kiwi guy 070 to 090 conversion, he uses the farmertec cylinder and piston, bolts straight on, shows it running at the end.
070 cylinder. Notice OD measurement and intake/exhaust ports. Cylinder suppose to fit down inside crankcase. It ain’t happening.
Have you contacted the manufacturer, cylinders and piston are a different design, transfer ports in 090 are internal but the outside of cylinder is a concern, what is the measurement of the case where the bottom of the barrel fits into the case?

yes i did. Piston has no bearing on the cylinder fitting on case. The 090 cylinder OD at bottom is much bigger than the ID of the 070 case. Therefore unless you perform a ton of machining there is no possible way it will fit/work. . remember both issues were hutzl. contacted hutzl and total waste of time. non responsive and tries to blame customer. That being said, if it was all OEM, then i have no idea

Fair enough, you have it all in front of you, I'm only reading stuff on the internet and watching videos, are hotel and farmertec different, the videos I've been watching where all farmer tech, sorry your having this issue, if you manage to sort it out with hotel or farmertec let me know. I'd be interested in knowing. Maybe try contact thechainsawguy, he's on this forum and was doing this conversion.

070 you have there sends the fuel/air up thru the external ports. The 090 pushes it up through ports cut out in the piston. The fitment could be a machining problem but...most guys that buy 070 clones immediately bolt on the 090 66mm top end without any problems...

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

It was for a customer of mine. I am sure he would sell the 090 kit for sure. Let me know if u are interested. I still cannot believe that it is working for some others. Maybe we got a defective/incorrect piston/cyl kit? Doubtful but you never know I guess
I don't have a 070 ???? Yet but this would give me a reason too.

Back